Fender Combo amps with popping noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Combo amps with popping noise

Good day to everybody......I am working on a 68 Custom Fender Deluxe Reverb....and I noticed that when you turn the amp to standby, it makes that loud popping sound....and.....I did notice that after I cleaned all the tube sockets with Deoxit, that irritating popping sound was much lower after I did that....has anybody else here noticed that as well???? Before I cleaned the sockets and tube pins the popping was extremely loud.......I also noticed that after cleaning the sockets, most of the noise and crackling sounds also have been greatly reduced as well......Just thought I would post this to see if other people here have noticed the same thing........
    Cheers to everybody.......

For every amp that comes in it is a good idea to clean all pots and jacks and tube sockets to remove any possibility of extraneous noise. And if there is still extraneous noise, at least you have already ruled out hte typical culprits.

Deoxit is a contact cleaner and lubricant, it should only be used on pots, not tube sockets. You should just use a regular alcohol based contact cleaner that will evaporate and leave no residue. Otherwise the amp will be all greasy and over the years more dust and debris will stick to the lubricating residue than if you never cleaned it in the first place .

Not sure why crackle noise of standby switch would decrease with cleaning the tube sockets, unless mechanical vibration from throwing the switch was causing intermittent/poor connections in tube socket to make and break from the standby switch's switch bounce jostling the amp.

Comment

Deoxit is a contact cleaner and lubricant, it should only be used on pots, not tube sockets. You should just use a regular alcohol based contact cleaner that will evaporate and leave no residue. Otherwise the amp will be all greasy and over the years more dust and debris will stick to the lubricating residue than if you never cleaned it in the first place .
      Other than many contact cleaners Deoxit D5 is not a lubricant and does not leave a greasy deposit. It works perfectly on tube contacts. I do not flush it (because I do not want it to dissolve and distribute solder flux) but use it on Q-tips on the pins and tiny dental brushes in the socket contacts.
      Last edited by Helmholtz; 07-24-2018, 09:11 PM.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
        For every amp that comes in it is a good idea to clean all pots and jacks and tube sockets to remove any possibility of extraneous noise. And if there is still extraneous noise, at least you have already ruled out hte typical culprits.

Not sure why crackle noise of standby switch would decrease with cleaning the tube sockets, unless mechanical vibration from throwing the switch was causing intermittent/poor connections in tube socket to make and break from the standby switch's switch bounce jostling the amp.
        Thanks for the reply.....I will have to pick up some plain contact cleaner....the standby pop greatly decreased in volume when I cleaned everything up....it is still there but not as bad.....I don't get very many of these amp...just every now and then......so it is kind of hard to really get to know the unit...(.actually any unit as far as that goes as the local music store pretty much sends me the majority of their gear)....and I am always getting something different.....it could be months before I see the same brand and model.....

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
          Other than many contact cleaners Deoxit is not a lubricant and does not leave a greasy deposit. It works perfectly on tube contacts. I do not flush it (because I do not want it to dissolve and distribute solder flux) but use it on Q-tips on the pins and tiny dental brushes in the socket contacts.
          Thank you for your reply....I am going to try some plain contact cleaner just to see what the differences are.....I don't have any so I will have to pick up a can....I have a couple of cans of Deoxit......here in Canada this stuff is expensive...$35 a can....plus tax......
          Cheers

Comment

I am going to try some plain contact cleaner..
            Deoxid D5 is by far the best contact cleaner I know (I have tested many). Simple mixtures of solvents like alcohol, naphta, ether etc. do not remove oxides and sulfides but only wash off soluble or loose dirt.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post

I used to use a lot of "non residue" tuner wash. Now that mechanical tuners are gone with the dinosaurs, I don't know if it is even available anymore? Very handy when a customer has a WD40 fetish...

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                I used to use a lot of "non residue" tuner wash. Now that mechanical tuners are gone with the dinosaurs, I don't know if it is even available anymore? Very handy when a customer has a WD40 fetish...
                One item that works for sure Caig Contact Cleaner Wash. You can source it from tubesandmore.com or Parts Express. I'm sure there are other sources besides. Also, I haven't checked it out personally but I think there's a CRC brand non residue solvent spray cleaner that can be handily found at Home Despot. "Solvent" meaning not water based like Windex for instance. Spray away your troubles...
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

As already mentioned, pure organic solvents like tuner sprays or wash cleaner don't remove corrosion on older contacts, while they may help with greasy deposits on newer contacts. Deoxit D5 removes both and has no residue problem.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                    As already mentioned, pure organic solvents like tuner sprays or wash cleaner don't remove corrosion on older contacts, while they may help with greasy deposits on newer contacts. Deoxit D5 removes both and has no residue problem.
                    I have to go to the store tomorrow to drop off a few things.....They sell Deoxit in there but no other brand of cleaner...there is an electronics parts store just down the road from the music store...they will have some different types of contact cleaners.....some with lube and some without....I'll pick up a can of cleaner and just try it out.....and I will also get some D5...
                    Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by bsco View Post
                      I have to go to the store tomorrow to drop off a few things.....They sell Deoxit in there but no other brand of cleaner...there is an electronics parts store just down the road from the music store...they will have some different types of contact cleaners.....some with lube and some without....I'll pick up a can of cleaner and just try it out.....and I will also get some D5...
                      Cheers
                      Might also find what you're looking for at Canada Tire (?) or a home/hardware like Home Despot or Lowes, I dunno if you have 'em in the Great White North. If not, whatever their analog is. Looks like the electronics store will be the first bet. It's a little chancy just picking anything though. Some "cleaners" have been known to dissolve plastic, wreck pots & cause mayhem.

Comment

I use the deoxit D5 for sockets and switches etc. where I don't want a lube. I use the deoxit F5 (fader) where I want lube left behind, like pots.
                        The D5 is used very sparingly, I spray a little into a pill bottle cap and use a toothpick to get it into the socket pins. I think the propellant will be long gone before I ever use up the actual liquid in the can.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                          I use the deoxit D5 for sockets and switches etc. where I don't want a lube. I use the deoxit F5 (fader) where I want lube left behind, like pots.
                          The D5 is used very sparingly, I spray a little into a pill bottle cap and use a toothpick to get it into the socket pins. I think the propellant will be long gone before I ever use up the actual liquid in the can.
                          D5 does leave behind an oily residue. After using it - similarly to you - I give metal contacts, tube pins, jacks, pots, switches a light shot of non residue cleaner from Caig. Light shot of it because in these instances you usually want to leave a little of the active substance behind, but just a mere dab. I take my cue from the old directions for Cramolin, where it used to say on the can "the less you use the better it works." Early Cramolin literature for hi fi use - late 1970's when there were no spray cans and the standard delivery was 100% Cram in tiny dram bottles - claimed all you needed to leave behind was a few molecules, and that's what was recommended. Not slathering everything with it by far. "More is better" works against you and will result in a gooey mess eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                            Might also find what you're looking for at Canada Tire (?) or a home/hardware like Home Despot or Lowes, I dunno if you have 'em in the Great White North. If not, whatever their analog is. Looks like the electronics store will be the first bet. It's a little chancy just picking anything though. Some "cleaners" have been known to dissolve plastic, wreck pots & cause mayhem.
                            we have Home Depot and Crappy Tire.....Kents and a few others...Walmart also comes to mind..oh yes and THe Source...used to be Radio Shack.....those hardware/automotive stores won't have anything suitable.....the electronics store will and that place is the only one here......besides the Long and McQuade music store....
                            Cheers
                            P.S. Going to have a HEAT WARNING here for the next few days......temp is going to get above 15C

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                              I have the F5 stuff and a couple cans of gernic contact /lube and just the contact cleaner....I don't have the D5...will pick some up today......

Comment

Working...
                              X