Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VOX AC15 burning resistors [SOLVED]

Dear MEF members,

My name is Yann and I leave in France, this is my first post on this amazing forum.
    I am a frequent visitor of this forum since about 1 year and I have to say it helped me a lot.

So I decided to post a thread about a repair I made on a VOX AC15. This one was a bit tricky so I hope this will help someone in the future and avoid some headache

This amp came to me after the customer faced a sudden buzz followed by smoke and a blown HT fuse.
    After some checks on the circuit, I have noticed two 220 ohms burnt resistors (R90 & R91, schematic attached) in addition to the blown HT fuse :

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180514_103247.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	873860

After checking heater circuit and all tubes, absolutely nothing was wrong.
    So I have decided to change the fuse, and put the amp on a variac and slowly start the beast.
    The two resistors became very hot again, but I could see all filaments properly lighting.
    After unpluging different secondaries of the power transformer, I have figured out that when the main secondary is unplugged the resistors are not longer cooking.

So I decided to plug again the main secondary and measure voltage on resistors, and noticed an abnormal high voltage on these.

For me it sounded like a partial short somewhere and I finally figured out after unsoldering C62, it was leaking on the pcb, causing the coat to dissolve and a partial short to happen, as the heater supply track was going in between pins of C62...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180514_113438.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	873862

So to fix this, I have cut the track that was running under C62 and remove the remaining copper, made a strap connection for heater supply getting around C62 with a proper insulated wire and replaced C62 (sorry I don't have a picture for the fix...).

Hopefully this might help someone in the future.
    Attached Files
Working...
X