Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enzo....a Peavey amp design question for you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enzo....a Peavey amp design question for you!

Hi Enzo

I have a Peavey EVH with open screen resistors. Is the only way to get to these things is by grinding off the rivets on the tube socket clamps? Is there another way? I had a similar problem on a Duel 212....I ran into a problem finding sheet metal screws. The only ones I could find had too large of heads that kept the tubes from seating completely onto the socket.

Thanks for your help

A drill would be a better/safer choice than a grinder or cutoff wheel.

... if Enzo doesn't have a better idea - and he probably will.

Comment

1/8" drill. Drill out the 8 rivets - takes just a few minutes - and after repair be prepared to remount the thing with 8 pop rivets. Pop rivets are cheap and so is a basic pop rivet tool. I wouldn't bother with sheet metal screws myself.

Now then, here is what I do when a screen resistor burns out on one of those. I unsolder the part, and since it is on the underside of the board, I poke at the solder free legs until it falls out down into the amp chassis. I fish the old part out. Instead of mounting the new one up under there, I just solder it on the foil side, right in front of my face. I think one of them will slightly bind against a connector or something, so I give the leads a tiny bend to offset it a hair, and there you go. No drill, no rivets, 5 minutes and you are out of there. The resistor really doesn't care which side of the board it lives on.

And I can only recall with horror what poor KB did the first time - he unsoldered all those long socket legs and then wondered how to get them all back into their holes. He'll kill me for telling that.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Your on death row right as we speak but since you've helped me so much over the years I'm going to let you off.

ps I've done more stupid crap then that before too.
        KB

Comment

I'll admit it.....I did that on my first one of these....
          We have one of those rivet thangy's at work, so that's what I do now.
          Just had a Mesa with a warped/burnt output board, so I just hard wired new sockets screwed into the chassis.

Comment

Working...
          X