Marshall grid resistors? There, not there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall grid resistors? There, not there

I think I asked this before, BUT-. Working on a killer '67 ish Marshall Superlead Tremolo 1959T.

Two tubes have 1.5K input grid resistors, the other two tubes don't.
    Anyone know why?

My '69 Plexi has none. No screen grids either
    My '73 also has no input grids, but does have the 1K screens.

Stability. Keeps the two tubes from interacting.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
      I think I asked this before, BUT-. Working on a killer '67 ish Marshall Superlead Tremolo 1959T.

Two tubes have 1.5K input grid resistors, the other two tubes don't.
      Anyone know why?

My '69 Plexi has none. No screen grids either
      My '73 also has no input grids, but does have the 1K screens.
      The same with my '67 1959 SLT and my '68 Super Lead: Grid stoppers only for one pair.

My explanation: Grid stoppers are mainly used to avoid HF oscillation, as they produce a low-pass filter effect in conjunction with the tube's input capacitance.
      Stability is influenced by the components' arrangement and lead dress. It is known that paralleling tubes increases the risk of instability, mainly because the additional tubes and wiring cause more unwanted (parasitic) coupling.

They probably found that while a single EL 34 pair in their 50W amp didn't require grid stoppers, adding another pair did. So they just used grid stoppers for the additional outer pair as a minimum cure.
      Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-24-2018, 12:56 PM.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
        They probably found that while a single EL 34 pair in their 50W amp doesn't require grid stoppers, adding another pair does. So they just used grid stoppers for the additional outer pair as a minimum cure.
        That's the best hypothesis I've read on the matter. I've wondered "why only on one pair" myself. This makes sense.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

We see something similar in screen resistors.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            We see something similar in screen resistors.
            In vintage Marshalls?
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I think he's talking about Traynors and Garnets. Maybe some old ampegs too

Comment

I had other brands in mind. Peavey for example had screen resistors on two of four power tubes in various models. Music Man in some models. Others. The OP seemed to be asking about power tubes that were not all four wired the same.

Comment

Working...
                X