Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts in the Northeast?

Any good parts places in the northeast?
    I get stuff from New Sensor in like a day or two, but they don't have as wide a variety as like AES or so.
    So I was wondering if they're were any others nearby for quick turn arounds.

Thanks.

For tubes, there's Viva Tubes in Easthampton MA. I haven't tried 'em yet, and it looks like they only carry tubes. Same for Doug's Tubes on Long Island & Valve Queen in Ohio. I've recommended those last two to people and got good reports back. Parts Express in Ohio also, a wide variety of stuff, ground shipping takes 2 days most. Same for Mojo in NC. I used to get things from Mojo but about 2 years ago their shipping prices doubled suddenly & now I'm avoiding them. Hoffman in NC, a wide variety of parts, deserves honorable mention. I know, not quite the Northeast. Rare that orders take more than 2 days to arrive here in upstate NY. I don't know of any others. I find New Sensor's prices high so I avoid 'em.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

USPS priority mail takes 2 days from wherever.

I used CEDist/AES out west wherever they are, I could always get stuff within two days if I needed it. UPS/Fedex/USPS ship everywhere, and all can do it overnight if it is emergency. In short I never felt the need to worry where a vendor was located..
      Last edited by Enzo; 12-18-2018, 12:26 AM.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yeah, I suppose...but I'm cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
          Yeah, I suppose...but I'm cheap!
          Where in the Northeast are you?
          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Suburbs of Philly

Comment

I either order from Mouser or Tubedepot, both have good shipping prices and faster service for a few dollars more.

Comment

Mouser and Digikey stuff gets here pretty fast, and Tube Depot in Tn isn't too bad either.

Oh, and Newark/MCMinone is also pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
                  Mouser and Digikey stuff gets here pretty fast, and Tube Depot in Tn isn't too bad either.

Oh, and Newark/MCMinone is also pretty quick.
                  Oh, how I miss the days of being able to walk into Yale Radio on Sunset Blvd, Newark Electronics on Century Blvd, Dow Radio in Culver City or Pasadena, Electronics City in Burbank, International TV on Olympic or on Imperial Hwy, Signal Electronics in Torrance, etc. One by one, they've all disappeared (other than Newark, just not in Hawthorne CA anymore). I would NEVER even venture into a Radio Shack. I do get tired of paying inflated shpg prices Mouser, Digi-Key and others charge, though AES is usually affordable on shpg via USPS, as long as Trump doesn't succeed in killing USPS.
                  Last edited by nevetslab; 12-19-2018, 08:06 PM.
                  Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Hey, Rat Shack was awesome for picking up components in a hurry for emergencies!

Comment

There is still a brick and mortar place with a good variety of parts left standing just outside Boston called You Do It Electronics in Needham, ma.
                      They managed to stay alive, and you can find some tubes all the way to microcontrollers.
                      If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I remember the electronics salvage stores, back in the 60's 70's, near LAX and the aerospace companies - where you could buy the rejects/surplus from Fender (Taurus, Scorpio SS amp line) and other companies. North American Rockwell had a very cool salvage site with some very nice hardware. It's now just a shadow of itself - Apex Jr http://www.apexjr.com, Torrance Electronics Inc .....

Comment

I fondly remember going to Kass Electronics in Drexel Hill and buying Sylvania tubes over the counter. Sigh.

Comment

Whoah, think I remember commercials for that place in what? Early 70's?

Comment

Up through the 80s I believe. That's where I went for parts when I first started working on amps. There was a parts counter, you'd walk up and say 'I need four 1k 5w resistors and four 6550s, and they'd go in the back, bring them out and ring you up. Sometimes RCAs but most often Sylvania ECG.

Comment

Working...
                              X