Fuse for Crate Blue Voodoo 6212

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse for Crate Blue Voodoo 6212

I am no tech at all and I do not even know much about amps in general, but I have a Blue Voodoo 6212 that need the fuse (on the rear of the amp) replaced. I have looked in the manual and all it says is "Fuse". Can someone tell me which fuse it is and where I can get one?
    Attached Files

It says right there under the fuse holder, a slow blow 3 amp fuse if your line voltage is 115 volts ac.

Comment

Gotcha. I didn't realize that SLO-BLO actually meant Slow Blow. So is there a fuse holder missing? I am not seeing how it make contact on both ends or even stay in place. Thanks for your help, as I am obviously a TRUE novice.

Comment

Yes, your fuse holder is missing.

I assumed incorrectly that you had removed it.

Comment

Thanks. Can you tell me where to find a replacement and will it plug in or is that something that will need to be soldered in place?

Comment

It does not get soldered in.

Hard to see what type it is in the picture.
            it either screws in or twists in.

Do a google search for it, probably find the whole assembly for a few bucks.

Or try a music store/repair shop. They probably have a bunch lying around.

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Without having the actual part in hand it is hard to tell you exactly which fuse holder you need.

There are short ones & long ones.
                The hole diameter may also be a factor.

I would call Loud Technologies and ask them what belongs in the amp.
                They may even have it.

Comment

In case it´s not clear:

you are missing the fuse holder cap or cover.

It usually either screws or bayonets in the main fuse holder body , which is visible inside that chassis hole.

Each fuse holder needs its own screw/bayonet cap, they are NOT universal by any means and are not sold alone, so you will need to replace the whole fuse assembly, holder and cap, and *that* involves soldering.

To boot, probably not "any" fuse holder will fit there.

My point is that in principle you need to buy the exact same one, and in that case safest option is getting the proper one from Crate itself ... which in any case will need to be installed by somebody knowledgeable.

So second best option is contacting some local Tech, either independent or working at/for a shop, who will probably have a suitable one on hand, maybe even cannibalized from an old Crate amp or similar ... you will need somebody to replace it anyway so why not unify tasks? ... you´ll save time and money.

Now we get to the crux of the problem: why is that fuse cap missing?

No user will have it that way, so that amp looks like a pawnshop/craigslist/garage sale/attic find, maybe abandoned because it had a problem.

I fear you will replace that fuse holder and fuse and it may blow again, because it will still have some unsolved problem.

Not being negative, quite the contrary, just reminding you a few possibilities, many of which involve getting a Tech and spending some money on the amp.

That said, it´s a killer amp and well worth restoring, if that fits your budget.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Without making it too difficult, if he can find the whole assembly, he just needs the cap- if he can find one.

I just went through the same thing with an Orange Rocker 30.
                    Fuse holder was fine, but the cap was missing.

Now I literally have dozens of several different styles and sizes and- none fit dammit!

So for a few $ I bought the whole assembly just for the cap.

Hopefully the amp is okay, if not come back and maybe we can help.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
                      Without making it too difficult, if he can find the whole assembly, he just needs the cap- if he can find one.
                      I was thinking the same, and many times buy the complete holder just to get the cap and discard the rest or save for another time.

But, it looks like maybe the holder is broken? I don't see any lip there like you would normally see? Or perhaps it's board mount with no lip? Still looks odd to me like that though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fholder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	852606
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Hard to tell on my phone.

Looks like a threaded cap.
                        Could be missing the inside spring or metal flap, whatever you call it.

Comment

Well, not sure about what type of cap, but it does appear to be a lip-less type so the holder is probably ok.
                          According to service manual, this is the part number listed:
                          http://www.loudtechnologies.eu/ampeg...d=4896&lang=en

Maybe someone will recognize it from another loud product and know which generic cap fits.
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Ok, it's a 3A slo-blo 1&1/4 x 1/4" fuse, littelfuse cap part # 03450101HX020 which should be available at mouser, digikey, or newark etc.
                            Or, complete holder with cap would be part # 03450101H

Comment

again, thank everyone so much!

Comment

Working...
                              X