No announcement yet.

1969 Fender Champ Amp repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you know, I was thinking more about the grounding when I realized that the 15k mid resistor isn't even in here! The bass pot looks is not mounted in like the others so my guess is someone took it out of here a long time ago.. or someone at fender was having a bad day and forgot the mids resistor. just clipped in a new one and the frequency response for both treble and bass are doing exactly what they should.

Comment

Pretty sure it left the factory like this, it doesn't look like there was ever a ground connection for the 15k

Comment

Originally posted by Steelwitch View Post
        Pretty sure it left the factory like this, it doesn't look like there was ever a ground connection for the 15k
        You may well be correct, but the 'tone stack lift' / '5F1' mod was pretty popular.

I'd think twice before besmirching saint Leo's reputation
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

This:

I tested the pot already and it looks good, wiring looks ok, the 250pf coupling cap tests ok. What else should I look for? Any tricks for tracing a problem like this? Thanks!
          Originally posted by eschertron View Post
          Could someone have lifted the tone stack? Maybe a bad solder connection on one end of the 'mid' resistor to ground?
          All grounds and wiring are solid.
          Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          The EQ stack has a 15K fixed resistor which sets the midrange.
          I poked around at the circuit on a scope and all connections were definitely good...
          Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          If the tone stack is actually not functioning then it it is either because the tone stack ground is bad or because the circuit has been altered to bypass it.
          then:

you know, I was thinking more about the grounding when I realized that the 15k mid resistor isn't even in here!

This problem was diagnosed very early on. But I'm glad it's fixed now. I just couldn't help this poke though
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            This problem was diagnosed very early on. But I'm glad it's fixed now. I just couldn't help this poke though
            "It's what you leave out that counts!"

Well at least we haven't gone on a 700+ post endless expedition like we have with a couple folks, who I'll purposely not mention.

Slap in a 15K, or anything close to it, or a mid pot. And let's get on with life as it should be. : put smiley thing lounging under a palm tree here:
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I just worked on a bone stock '65. The bass and treble controls both had a lot of sweep. Cathode caps were way out of wack, otherwise it was just fine.

Comment

Working...
              X