Repetitive slow SNITS on the output of an SWR 750x...can't find the source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repetitive slow SNITS on the output of an SWR 750x...can't find the source

This SWR 750x is producing repetitive 'snits' on the output, very present when there is input signal, though I can still hear it faintly with nothing plugged in, or better with a 100k termination plug inserted into the Passive input jack. I had briefly heard the same snit on the first of the 3 750x amps that I've been doing preventative maintenance on, and, after replacing the one preamp tube on that one, I never heard it again. Not so on this one, though.

I've at least isolated it to being somewhere on the main PCB, as patching into the Effects Return jack, running the test signal thru the power amp is clean, free of this annoying snit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	750x Front View, cover open-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	874298 Click image for larger version

Name:	750X Insides-2.jpg
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	874299 Click image for larger version

Name:	Repetitive 'snit' on output-1.jpg
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	874300 Click image for larger version

Name:	Repetitive 'snit' on output-2.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	874301 Click image for larger version

Name:	Repetitive 'snit' on output-3.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	874302

750x Preamp Rev D Sch.pdf
    750x Speaker Output Rev A Sch.pdf
    750x Power Amp Rev E Sch.pdf

I've been probing thru all of the signal path, looking for the source. As it's a narrow pulse, it's been hard to catch. I hear it best using very low frequency tone, or LF random noise from my B & K generator, sine-random with a 10Hz BW, tuned down around 30Hz. On the scope photos, I replaced that with 20Hz sine, and had to fiddle with the storage writing controls to finally catch the repetitive transient.

I thought at one point, I had caught the sucker on the power supply leads of the input to the +/- 5V regulators, which power up the Subwave circuit. I was seeing something very odd there, but it wasn't the this snit....not sure what that one is. It almost sounds like a cap breaking down in the power supply. I am seeing something odd at the input side of both +/- 5V regulators. With the LF signal applied to the amp, I'm seeing this 3.5V P-P signal (20Hz sine input to the amp) at the junction of either R78/C46 or R81/C53...the inputs to the +/- 5V IC regulators. When I remove the input signal, that waveform is gone. With the signal applied, and looking at the output of the regulators, there's no signal, so the regulators are doing their ripple rejection job. I haven't yet pulled the main PCB out and swapped out any of the LV supply caps to see if there's something breaking down in there. There's just no relative sync to the snit rep rate and the ripple frequency.

Name:	C46 side of R78 feeding -5V reg.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	874310

I've run out of space for the other photos on this regulator series.

Any suggestions?
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Is your cell phone nearby?

Comment

Rest of the power supply regulator photo series

Here's the regulator circuit photos, that at first caught my eye as being the culprit, or related to the culprit causing the repetitive snits. But, no relationship to the rep rate/timing.

Name:	-20V side of R78 feeding -5V reg, No Sig.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	852903 Click image for larger version

Name:	-20V side of R78 feeding -5V reg.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	852904 Click image for larger version

Name:	C46 side of R78 feeding -5V reg.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	852905 Click image for larger version

Name:	Output of -5V reg, with signal applied.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	852906

I see the same behavior on the +5V regulator side, looking at both sides of R81. I've had U11 out of circuit, which is the only circuit that uses the +/- 5V regulator, but the snits remain. I've also gone thru one by one and removed IC's from the main PCB without any success. With the tube removed, there's no signal into the rest of the amp. It's in there someplace though.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
        I don't even own a cell phone, and the computer is a couple benches away.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
          I don't even own a cell phone, and the computer is a couple benches away.
          2 second period? Probably not radar at the airport or the naval yard, then. Did you get the snits before un-shielding the chassis?
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I just found it! THERE WAS an interference signal present in the set-up, though not shown in the photos. I had two sets of probes from my HP 3467A 4-Ch scanning multimeter connected...one was attached to the +/- 100V supplies on the power amp's top power xstr leads, the other was monitoring the output DC level of the power amp. When I just powered it back up, I wasn't hearing any of the snits. Then, looking for an very LF interference source....the scanning rate of the HP 3467A, I reconnected the leads. THAT was it! Whew!.......this one had me going all afternoon!

Comment

Just for the record, what are SNITS?

Comment

sub-neutron intergalactic transverse signals.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

...... or "a state of agitated irritation". Either could apply here.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Short noticeable random HF pulses that show up in audio for inexplicable reasons. In this case, they remained repetitive and, until found, elusive.

Comment

Acronym fail.

You really don't have a cell phone?

I'm guessing your avatar is pretty accurate.

Comment

Like snivets, except they don't go on as long. And they can put you in a swivet if you can't make 'em go away.
                        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

You really don't have a cell phone? I'm guessing your avatar is pretty accurate.
                          Surprisingly no. So far in debt, adding that monthly fee just hasn't been desired. And yes, not premature grey.....I earned that.

Comment

Working...
                          X