Search for #10-32 Cage Nuts to fit Ampeg SVT-CL Preamp mtg flanges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search for #10-32 Cage Nuts to fit Ampeg SVT-CL Preamp mtg flanges

I have a brand new Ampeg SVT-CL in the shop (2 of them, actually), brought to me so I could set them up to last instead of failing on rentals first. So, among all the hardware issues I've had to deal with on them, what has stopped me in my tracks are the cheap Chinese #10-32 cage nuts installed in the 7mm sq holes of the preamp chassis mounting flanges. One of them snapped off one side of the shaped clips that keep them in the holes. Then, before I could even try to come up with a fix, lacking a replacement, the other side snapped off before I even tried to apply any force!!

These parts are NOT common, I've come to discover. What everybody stocks around the country are the larger size that fit the power amp chassis, square hole size being 0.375". Images of the little buggers:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Preamp10-32 Cage Nuts-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	874395 Click image for larger version

Name:	Preamp 10-32 Cage Nuts-2.jpg
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	874396 Click image for larger version

Name:	10-32 vs M6 Cage Nuts-1.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	874397 Click image for larger version

Name:	10-32 cage nut.jpg
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	874398 Click image for larger version

Name:	M6 cage nut.jpg
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	874399

So far, all I've been able to find are the larger size #10-32 cage nuts. And, only McMaster-Carr even lists the panel opening size for what they offer. Everyone else just gives you pictures, and what specs they offer don't even call out the square hole size you're trying to fit. As though that would be important, since the part MUST FIT into your opening!!

All I found at Home Depot last night were j-clips, and they will only work on the rear flange. You have to run a #10-32 tap thru them first to even have a chance of them working with the soft-steel chrome plated screws Ampeg provides. And, even with that, having now made the mistake of removing the rear cage nut, since they won't fit on the inside front flange of the chassis.....threading in the screw rotates the j-clip away from it's centering. I haven't even tried this in the cabinet, where all these fastners are now a blind hole.

When I tried to install the intact #10-32 cage nut into the front flange.....I can't get the little bugger into the opening. I've been using a nice robust bent-nose pliers to install them in SVT power amp chassis and Marshall chassis, but, the front openings in the SVT Preamp, they're in the corner and next to the bulging side of a pop rivet, and thus far, I've been unable to install one! Getting to where I want to start throwing things, if anyone has been pushed to that state!
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Time to break out the file and widen the hole?
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
      Time to break out the file and widen the hole?
      Not with brand new amps. This is the first of four new Ampeg SVT-CL's that I'm setting up for rental service, dealing with all of their poorly manufactured ills before they propagate into further problems. I've already invested in proper M6 cage nuts to replace the Chinese crap that is being shipped. This is the first time I've encountered issues with the preamp cage nuts. So happy Ampeg chose a size that's NOT common!

Comment

What is the size of the cutout? Could you use M5? I've found some for a cutout of 9.53 x 9.53mm.
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
          What is the size of the cutout? Could you use M5? I've found some for a cutout of 9.53 x 9.53mm.
          7mm square. At first, I thought these were M5 cage nuts, but then found they were 10-32 (though could actually be M4, only my M4 x 0.7 pitch tap wouldn't thread into them, while other #10-32 screws fit them fine. The standard size I've found for the #10-32 cage nuts is 0.375" sq.

I just got the first of these SVT-CL's back together, and slid that 10-32 J-Clip over to the rear hole, ran a #10-32 tap thru it first, then checked it with other #10-32 screws, which fit, though a bit hard to thread in (typical). Hopefully I don't find more of these non-standard cage nuts breaking, as I have three more to go thru.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
            7mm square. At first, I thought these were M5 cage nuts, but then found they were 10-32 (though could actually be M4, only my M4 x 0.7 pitch tap wouldn't thread into them, while other #10-32 screws fit them fine. The standard size I've found for the #10-32 cage nuts is 0.375" sq.

I just got the first of these SVT-CL's back together, and slid that 10-32 J-Clip over to the rear hole, ran a #10-32 tap thru it first, then checked it with other #10-32 screws, which fit, though a bit hard to thread in (typical). Hopefully I don't find more of these non-standard cage nuts breaking, as I have three more to go thru.
            https://apexfasteners.com/fasteners/.../nut-retainers
            "NR-D30395-1032 10-32 .025"-.063" .281" Square"
            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

dude, that's a tough one. The apex one is the best I could come up with, but you'll probably have to inquire to get a quote from them. Keep your fingers crossed that there is a reasonable minimum quantity for an end consumer purchase.
              If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
                dude, that's a tough one. The apex one is the best I could come up with, but you'll probably have to inquire to get a quote from them. Keep your fingers crossed that there is a reasonable minimum quantity for an end consumer purchase.
                Ah, many thanks for this source!! I'll request a quote from them in the AM. Thankfully Apex provided the real information one needs to mate a part to the panel!! I'll report back when I get the details.

Comment

If you need some help getting up to the necessary quantities, PM me. I might be interested in some myself.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

And some industrial suppliers want to sell thousands, but you can sometimes request or even buy "sample quantities".

I recall a time I needed a few O rings or similar. The company wouldn't sell me 10 or 20, but they'd throw a bag of 100 in the mail for free.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                      And some industrial suppliers want to sell thousands, but you can sometimes request or even buy "sample quantities".

I recall a time I needed a few O rings or similar. The company wouldn't sell me 10 or 20, but they'd throw a bag of 100 in the mail for free.
                      I contacted Sales at Apex Fasteners regarding the smaller size #10-32 cage nuts. Enzo had it right, they sell their hardware by the box full (1000pc typ) to manufacturing/industry. 25 pcs not considered, 100 pcs.....they'll get back to me, and samples....not without a yearly production allocation being committed to. I don't know what their 100 pc price will be, though would guess between $60 and $80 + shpg/tax...they're not far from me here in California. More to come.

Comment

See if they’ll provide you with any distributors which may have stock

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
                          See if they’ll provide you with any distributors which may have stock
                          I'll ask the salesman when he gets back to me. I was more under the impression that they bypass distributors and sell direct to manufacturers & industry, as many do.

Comment

A 10-32 rivet nut has an un-smushed body diameter of .296". With help from a little CA glue, they might get the job done. Of course you'd have to spend the money on an insertion tool.

Comment

I THINK I found the smaller 10-32 cage nut at Granger. They had (4) different 10-32 cage nuts listed, three had edge-to-center distances @ around 0.375, and one at around 0.250 (P/N 1LBE6. Like every other resource for cage nuts, NO Hole dimensions listed!! So, I'm taking a chance on this . The photo of it looks smaller than the ones having the 0.375" edge-center distance. If it ain't it, I've wasted $28 & change. I just love incomplete details.

Comment

Working...
                              X