No announcement yet.

Lab series L11 low volume issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally weird but when i put a les paul through the amp i get zero sound vs. My tele (weak but some sound) and yet through a normal amp the les paul is noticeably louder.

Comment

Yes! Plugging in with overdrive pedal 'worked'.
      That is, it's much louder, although still not what i imagine 200 watts sounds like. Also sound moves up and down a bit and is dirtier than what i expected. Amazing sustain with built in compressor though. 'Hi' input jacks noticeably quieter than 'lo' input jacks. Checked speakers in the matched cab again. They sound clean when powered by twin reverb amp so don't think they're blown. Gonna take it to an expert now but at least i can explain the situation better. Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry, one last thing. Amp is fan cooled but even after twenty minutes of moderate volume the head gives off no heat. Perhaps this normal.

Comment

Oh, totally agree i only meant the most basic mechanical things like cleaning...I've seen enough youtube videos to know that i know less than zero about such things.

Comment

Originally posted by Klee View Post
            Yes! Plugging in with overdrive pedal 'worked'.
            That is, it's much louder, although still not what i imagine 200 watts sounds like. Also sound moves up and down a bit and is dirtier than what i expected. Amazing sustain with built in compressor though. 'Hi' input jacks noticeably quieter than 'lo' input jacks. Checked speakers in the matched cab again. They sound clean when powered by twin reverb amp so don't think they're blown. Gonna take it to an expert now but at least i can explain the situation better. Thanks again.
            What 200 watts sounds like can be very decieving. Measure with a DVM into a dummy load with a 500mv 1k sine wave if you want the real deal on wattage.

nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

200 watts only sounds like 200 watts if the amp is producing 200 watts. Like driving a race car to the grocery store then claiming "Gee, I thought a 200 mile per hour car would be faster."

It only makes 200 watts when it is FULLY driven.

You cannot compare a 200 watt amp on 3 with a 100 watt amp on 3 and expect it to mean anything. It doesn't.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thank you, but it's beyond my pay grade. I really know nothing about this stuff

Comment

I'll take your word on that. I was comparing it to my twin reverb (85 watts) which is quite loud at 5 to this one at 5. Regardless, there's clearly something wrong with this amp. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X