Strange behavior in '61 6G6 bassman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange behavior in '61 6G6 bassman

Here is something which may be of some interest, and some of you may have experienced as well.

We received an old 6G6 Fender Bassman that came in for service. It had been modified a bit, but the customer opted to have the amp restored to the original circuit.
    Here is the Schematic:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender_Bassman_6G6-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	628.8 KB
ID:	874530
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender_Bassman_6G6-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	728.1 KB
ID:	874531

The filter and bypass caps needed replacement, rewired for original GZ34 rectifier, new tubes were installed, and some coupling caps needed replacement.
    Easy enough. However, when I went to sine wave check the amp under load, I noticed some strange behavior at the output. Here is a clip of what would happen as I brought up the signal level:

https://vimeo.com/332879913

When I brought the signal level up (inserting signal into the normal channel), I noticed the sine wave collapse in an unbalanced way. It almost looked as if the power supply was collapsing, but would then stabilize. I've seen rectifier tubes at the end of life exhibit something like this, but they generally don't recover after. Plus, I quickly eliminated the recti as the issue.
    I then suspected either one of the new filter caps might be faulty, or coupling caps. I thought output had a look as though there was an instability in the charging/discharging of one or more coupling caps though.
    The power supply tested stable. We did trace the problem to the PI stage, specifically to the mixing stage at the input of the PI. When I lifted the 470k mixing resistor coupling the bass channel, the issue went away. More specifically, the problem seemed to be centered around the .1µF coupling cap before the Treble control in the bass channel when the 2 channels are connected, as only when this cap was connected did this issue exhibit.
    I thought that there was some kind of feedback occurring between the two channels, and thought that more channel isolation might solve the problem. So I increased the 470k mixing resistors to 820k, but this did not solve the problem. Interestingly, I could not audibly hear what we are seeing on the scope when driving the amp using a guitar through the input of the normal channel.
    The one thing that did seem to mitigate this was including another capacitor after the 470k resistors and before the grid (as is included in the 6G6-B version). The value needed to be kept under around .047µF in order to keep the amp from exhibiting the behavior, but it did appear to attenuate the signal level a little.

I was wondering if any of you have seen this, and what you have done?
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

I don't have sound, but I see it passing through crossover distortion. The loss of one side looks to me like you might be clipping the phase inverter. How large a signal are you applying.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      I don't have sound, but I see it passing through crossover distortion. The loss of one side looks to me like you might be clipping the phase inverter. How large a signal are you applying.
      150mV into input 1 on the normal channel. I am certainly driving the output to clipping, although I don't think I'm necessarily clipping the PI. I'm only increasing the volume up to a modest clipping in order to show the strange collapsing phase issue as I increase the drive. Once the output stabilizes, I turned the volume down and start again.
      Maybe it would be clearer if I just showed it happen one time. Here is a clip where I increase the volume once at the beginning and the rest of the video shows the effect.

Fender_61_Bassman_6G6_output_1time_through
      Last edited by SoulFetish; 04-28-2019, 08:13 AM. Reason: corrected the link
      If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
        150mV into input 1 on the normal channel. I am certainly driving the output to clipping, although I don't think I'm necessarily clipping the PI. I'm only increasing the volume up to a modest clipping in order to show the strange collapsing phase issue as I increase the drive. Once the output stabilizes, I turned the volume down and start again.
        Maybe it would be clearer if I just showed it happen one time. Here is a clip where I increase the volume once at the beginning and the rest of the video shows the effect.

https://vimeo.com/332085955
        I get a short movie "Creme de Menthe" on that link..?

My first thought is that the 0.1uf cap is leaky so messing with the DC operating conditions of the PI.
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
          I get a short movie "Creme de Menthe" on that link..?
          UGH! not only is it the wrong link, it's a terrible drink as well. If I could screw it up all over again, it would have been a nice reposado or añejo.
          How bout this:

Fender_61_Bassman_6G6_output_1time_through

(corrected the link in my previous post as well)
          Last edited by SoulFetish; 04-28-2019, 08:33 AM.

Comment

My first thought is that the 0.1uf cap is leaky so messing with the DC operating conditions of the PI.
            Right! Makes total sense and I was suspicious of that as well. But I replaced it with a new CDE type 150 0.1µF cap, and also tried a .047µF value as well with no improvement.
            At one point I suspected maybe one (or both) of the plate resistors in the PI were problematic, and might be exhibiting some kind of behavior I hadn't seen before. But I measured the resistances and there was almost no drift. In fact, they were so close to spec for carbon comps, I'm wondering if they've already been replaced.

Comment

OK, so scope the PI outputs, PI input, bass and normal channel outputs. Check DC conditions of PI too.
              Last edited by nickb; 04-28-2019, 06:51 PM.
              Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

OK, so scope the PI outputs, input, bass and normal channel outputs. Check DC conditions of PI too.
                Okay I'll scope the PI outputs. The idle DC conditions of the PI checked out.
                Hmmm... I took another look at the schematic, and there are a few things I'm wondering about.
                If you look at the power supply, it's not configured in the normal string you find in most other Fenders.
                The filter stage for the Bass channel input gain stage/DC coupled cathode follower is tapped off after the choke at node B, through a 56k dropper to the 20µF supplying the 250V B+ for the stage. The next two stages in this channel share the same filter/supply node(A) as the two stages in the normal channel. This leads me to wonder if supplying the normal channel a separate designated filter cap, and decoupling each pair of stages here would have been better.
                Also, it looks like these two channels are out of phase at junction of the 470k mixing resistors. Right?? The other thing is if you look at the last stage of the bass channel, it's a single stage inverting feedback amplifier. Wouldn't it have made more sense to place the treble control and 470k resistor preceding this stage and mix the two channels at this point, thereby taking advantage of the virtual earth? Maybe I'm seeing this wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X