Champ 12 hum on start-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ 12 hum on start-up

I have a Fender "red knob" Champ 12 that is making me nuts. I have a loud hum that starts about 2-3 seconds after powering on and then discipates after about another 2-3 seconds. After that time the amp sounds great and has no other hum issues. Anyone have an idea of what might be the problem??

My guess would be that the filter caps are taking a few seconds to fully charge,not familiar with that amp and no schematic,but I think it could be normal.

Comment

I would say that any noises it makes in the first SIX SECONDS, after which it works fine aer nothing to be concerned over. Tubes have to warm up and not all do so at the exact same pace. SO if one tube warms up a little faster, it them amplifies the wake up of another. When I first turn her on, my wife makes funny noises for a couple seconds and then stops. Coincidence?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If it happens only at startup and goes away, it's probably not a real problem, just amplifying some part of the warm up, as noted above. I would turn it on with the volume all the way down and not worry about it, as long as it works fine after that few seconds.

Schematic if you still need it, and general info on that and most Fender amps at the Fender Amp Field Guide
        Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          When I first turn her on, my wife makes funny noises for a couple seconds and then stops. Coincidence?
          Maybe she needs to be warmed up more slowly
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Are you kidding? The game is on on the TV. Got no time to waste.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X