Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two styles of bias, two very different results. Opinions, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randall View Post
    Ω Yay!!
    It's all Greek to me . . . Drat I'm stymied because my laptop kb has no number pad. I'm sure it's a common problem, even more so for those using tablets or smart phones. Maybe if I plug an external kb in? Back when I was using a desk top computer "box" all kinds of alt symbols were available. However I found if I used them, they would come out as blank, or as some other aardvark symbol when my text showed up on the interwebs.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I just use 'R' to replace the omega symbol.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
        I just use 'R' to replace the omega symbol.
        I believe that is now the industry standard. And K or M where the decimal place would be for values over 1000.
        I've been hesitant using that notation here, but I think we should all use it more.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          It's all Greek to me . . . Drat I'm stymied because my laptop kb has no number pad. I'm sure it's a common problem, even more so for those using tablets or smart phones. Maybe if I plug an external kb in? Back when I was using a desk top computer "box" all kinds of alt symbols were available. However I found if I used them, they would come out as blank, or as some other aardvark symbol when my text showed up on the interwebs.
          If you're using Windows, look for an application call "Character Map" (charmap.exe.) It's more cumbersome than typing alt-***, but it will let you copy any of a zillion weird characters to the clipboard and paste them wherever you want. ͲϠϢЭѬѮ֍Ώῼ™℗⅔∞☼

Protip: don't choose Greek characters from the Symbol font. Choose them from Arial or any other font that displays ordinary letters.

Edit: some laptops have an numeric keyboard embedded in the regular keyboard. In that case you would see numbers printed in a different color on the letter keys.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Bones View Post
            If you're using Windows, look for an application call "Character Map" (charmap.exe.) It's more cumbersome than typing alt-***, but it will let you copy any of a zillion weird characters to the clipboard and paste them wherever you want. ͲϠϢЭѬѮ֍Ώῼ™℗⅔∞☼

Protip: don't choose Greek characters from the Symbol font. Choose them from Arial or any other font that displays ordinary letters.

Edit: some laptops have an numeric keyboard embedded in the regular keyboard. In that case you would see numbers printed in a different color on the letter keys.
            Thanks for the advice Tony! Now I squinted at the keyboard, sure enough there are tiny grey numbers providing a numeric array. Tried the alt+234 trick, no joy. Not giving up though. Tom Carlos mentioned "number lock" what's that? I see a grey lock symbol on F1, tried it, still no omega... Anyway I'm finding a host of extra functions I didn't know existed before on this keyboard. You're providing me with some enlightenment today, I'm grateful for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
              Thanks for the advice Tony! Now I squinted at the keyboard, sure enough there are tiny grey numbers providing a numeric array. Tried the alt+234 trick, no joy.
              Look along the bottom row of your keyboard for a function key that (probably) has the same color grey writing on it. You would need to hold down that key to activate the embedded numpad. So, while holding down alt and Fn, type "234", then release alt and Fn.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Bones View Post
                Look along the bottom row of your keyboard for a function key that (probably) has the same color grey writing on it. You would need to hold down that key to activate the embedded numpad. So, while holding down alt and Fn, type "234", then release alt and Fn.
                ↑ Hm, gives me an arrow up. Plus it's making my display dimmer. Maybe I better use the other methods. Thanks nonetheless!

Comment

Some laptops use the function key in combination to control hardware like screen brightness. I use the character map, it's the most foolproof but a bit time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by Dulles View Post
                    Some laptops use the function key in combination to control hardware like screen brightness. I use the character map, it's the most foolproof but a bit time consuming.
                    Thanks Dulles! I've recently started using f.lux to auto dim during evening hours - so I thought mistakenly somehow I'd reprogrammed it. Not so. After rebooting, my screen is back at full brightness. Everything back to normal, whew! For a while it was like looking at my screen thru dense fog. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                    X