Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey classic 30 output trans. Replacement bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey classic 30 output trans. Replacement bad?

The old output tranny was toast. I substituted a dual showman output tranny with alligator clips temporarily to see if I got an output, and did with normal waveform. Bought a new output from Peavey. Mounting bracket didn't fit all the holes (just two). Had to cut the wires since the cable plugs wouldn't go through the chassis holes. Double check color codes. Turn amp on AND... WHEEEEEEEEE!!!! High pitched whine oscillation noise crap. I'm going to see about sending this tranny back if they will take it. What y'all think?

Perhaps the primary side wires are reversed. Assuming they are brown/blue, try switching sides.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

^^^^^^What Randall said!!!
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Genius! Flipped the plug backwards and viola! Now it functions but very bad thunderstorm noises are present. Probably getting closer to the original failure cause. Replaced the output and preamp tubes with no effect.

Comment

Check all of the board to board jumpers. Often they break or the solder cracks loose causing intermittent connections.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Does the volume control effect the thunderstorms? Can you pull preamp tubes and make it stop? I would pull the PI tube first, and see what that does about the noise, that will help you determine more closely where to look.
            It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Working...
            X