Carvin VTR 2800 amp???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin VTR 2800 amp???

I just had a late 1970s? Carvin VTR 2800 guitar amp come in for reverb repairs.
    There is no reverb return - "no loud noise when you hit the side of the amp "
    The rest of the amp works great.

I just spent two days on the web looking for a schematic, with no luck. Has any of you had any experience working on one of these?

Thank you,
    Ken
    www.angeltone.com

Originally posted by ken View Post
    I just had a late 1970s? Carvin VTR 2800 guitar amp come in for reverb repairs.
    There is no reverb return - "no loud noise when you hit the side of the amp "
    The rest of the amp works great.

I just spent two days on the web looking for a schematic, with no luck. Has any of you had any experience working on one of these?

Thank you,
    Ken
    Call Carvin and ask them to send the schematic to you. It probably doesn't exist in electronic format and they'll have to send it by mail. But they are very helpful with that and they'll get it out to you.

Comment

I assume that you have already checked all of the usual suspects, reverb tank wires, coils/transducers, etc. Is the tank plugged in correctly?

If you pull the return cable, and turn up the reverb control, will injecting a signal into the reverb return line pass thru the amp? If you pull the send cable and send the signal out of the reverb send into another amp, is there signal coming thru to drive the tank?

Is this tube or solid state? Either way once you locate the problem area it shouldn't be too hard to troubleshoot.

Comment

Carvin doesn't have schems for anything older than 7 years or so... they had a fire in the 1990's and everything burned up. Really.

It's a hybrid amp - transistor preamp and tube power amp. I tried all the 'usual suspects' like changing the tank, checking the wires, etc. There are good DC to the chips too. Amp has two of the same IC chip in the preamp, probably a quad amp. I'm going to switch the two around and see what I get.

Ken
        www.angeltone.com

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
          Carvin doesn't have schems for anything older than 7 years or so... they had a fire in the 1990's and everything burned up. Really.

It's a hybrid amp - transistor preamp and tube power amp. I tried all the 'usual suspects' like changing the tank, checking the wires, etc. There are good DC to the chips too. Amp has two of the same IC chip in the preamp, probably a quad amp. I'm going to switch the two around and see what I get.

Ken
          Well they sent a copy to me a couple of years ago for one of those amps. I still have it at home, but I'm on the road this week.

They've also sent hard copies of other amps to me older than 7 years old. I don't know who told you that, but it's contrary to everything I've heard of from Carvin over the years.

Comment

In either case it can't hurt to ask them.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hi-
              Brand new to the forum- happened to find it while I was looking for info on the VTR 2800...

I found the schematic and I wanted to pass that on:

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/pdf/amps/VTR-2800.pdf

CC

Comment

Originally posted by hamer12string View Post
                Hi-
                Brand new to the forum- happened to find it while I was looking for info on the VTR 2800...

I found the schematic and I wanted to pass that on:

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/pdf/amps/VTR-2800.pdf

CC
                Yeah, I know it's been 9 months since the last post. Hi, guys. I just can't believe that you provided this guy with exactly what he needed and then didn't come back here to give you thanks. I do figure that by the time you got him the file that he already had figured the problem out since you provided it about 7 months after he needed it but a thank you was still in order. I actually registed just because of this. I came across this while looking for info on this amp just out of curiosity because someone was using it. Well, I want to give you thanks for wanting to help someone out.

Comment

Thanks to all for the post and the entire forum. Many times, I have found help here.

Comment

There is a schematic for the VTR 2800 PREAMP widely available on the 'net, but no schematic for the power amp. Anyone have?

Never mind, found it here: https://elektrotanya.com/carvin_vtr_.../download.html
                    --
                    I build and repair guitar amps
                    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Working...
                    X