Peavey XR600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XR600

I have a Peavey powered mixer that stopped working, when I turn it on it just hums. Is this worth fixing or so far gone that I need to throw it into the nearest dumpster? Any idea what might be wrong with it?

Many thanks..

I would send it to Peavey and let them fix it for you. It sounds like the output transistors are toast and possibly an emitter resistor and or driver. Sometimes you can just change the output transistors and get by. Peavey would most likely charge you about 1/2 to 3/4 of it's value to fix it but at least it will be right when you get it back.
    KB

Comment

Peavey charges $45/hour plus parts and shipping to service their gear. It's also possible that you could have bad solder joints on your main filter caps.

Comment

XR600 series - world's most popular powered box mixer.

Is this hum LOUD? And you speaker cones move our - or in - and try to stay there? That is a blown output stage - DC on the speakers. I'd take on that repair in a hearbeat at my shop. Not complex things to work on. Also could be a loss of low voltage for the mixer part. COUld be a failed op amp in the master. WHatever it is should not be a huge bill.

For reference, my shop would probably get abuot $60-75 labor, and $0-20 parts. Check with your nearest PV repair shop for local rates. PV does great work at the factory, but there is that whole shipping it to them thing.

If the thing serves your needs when it works, fixing it should get a couple more decades out of it. COUld you replace it for under $100? That is how I decide to fix or replace.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X