Traynor YCV80 weak distorted channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traynor YCV80 weak distorted channel

Traynor YCV80 started cutting out on the distorted channel to about half of the normal volume. Clean channel is fine.

I thought it might be preamp tubes so I replaced both of them. It didn't fix the problem so i tried swapping out the splitter tube, one at a time, with the two preamp tubes I replaced. That didn't fix it so I replaced all four power tubes. It did work for a day or two and then started doing it again, but now it never cuts back in. It stays at the low volume level. Clean channel still works fine.

I tried electrical contact cleaner on all buttons, pots, and tube sockets. I opened it up and looked over the circuit boards for burn marks or bad solder joints and thought maybe a couple looked bad on one of the tube sockets so I re-soldered them. Nothing has fixed the problem.

Does anyone know what could cause this?

Did you clean the contacts for the ribbon cables? Switching jacks? Anything could be responsible but it doesn't sound like a component failure at this time. More likely a bad connection. It could also be a bad solder contact but you should focus on anything you haven't deoxed and cleaned yet. Ribbon cables and switching jacks are the culprit so much of the time.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

If connections are clean, (pay attention to the relay contacts) and check out OK the next thing I would do is check the anode voltages on V1 & V2 then if wrong and a substitute valve makes no difference, R7 - R10 the anode load resistors on V1 & V2. The service manual states silly values. Use the nearest preferred value. Eg; 113k = 120k and 249k = 270k.
      Computer generated values mean very little to a valve that has such a high tolerance, it is not a discrete medical grade op-amp after all. It's just a valve amplifier.
      Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
      If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Working...
      X