Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vadis / Electrovox 408R Volume / Channel Bleed

Hi Again All,

Seems I have managed to get myself into another head scratcher (my Ampeg VT-120 that some of you assisted with is still with a second amp builder trying to figure out where the hum is coming from!).

I bought an early 60s Vadis 408R a couple of months ago. These were point to point amplifiers hand built in Sydney in the 60’s and very much based on Fender designs of the day. This one has two channels (“Normal” and “effects”) with dual inputs, tube driven tremelo and tube driven reverb and sounds great.

It has been serviced / rebuilt at some point recently (not by me) and all electrolytics and a lot of the original mustard caps have been replaced throughout. The work looks decent enough and voltages all seem in the ball park across the board.

Now to the issue - even with volumes down there is still sound (input signal) coming through the speakers. It is quite loud (ie approximately equivalent to how loud it would be with volume on half). It does this on all inputs on both channels. The grounding scheme looks stock and whilst not perfect I have read elsewhere that these amps are usually surprisingly quiet. Ive tested the volume pots with my multimeter and both go to zero ohms when turned down and make good connection to ground.

In an attempt to fault find I have disconnected the tone stacks, the reverb and the tremelo, however the issue persists. I tracked down the attached schematic of the preamp (note Vadis and Electrovox were One and the same, just different retailers and distributors at the time) and the red lines indicate where I have disconnected. If I disconnect the dry signal from the preamp to the phase inverter the sound stops so guessing the issue is emanating from Preamp (V1 or V2) or maybe phase inverter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F124AED7-1C9E-4A27-BB5E-61E8688480EE.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	876671

In comparing the preamp to the schematic everything seems to be wired ok, although I obviously might be missing something as gradually going cross eyed after staring at this for some
    time.. I can’t see how with the disconnections I have made, that input signal audio is still getting through the second half of each triode in V1 and V2 and ultimately getting to the phase inverter and power amp.

I’m aware of instances where audio has been transferred through chassis / ground but what is the best way to test for this and would it likely be this loud?

Also aware that lead dress can cause induction and I have spent a bit of time poking around inside moving various signal and power connections to ensure things are paralleling or crossing unnecessarily to no avail.

So have pretty much exhausted the extent of my tube amp / electronics knowledge and need some assistance. If I can’t resolve she will be heading off to the amp tech.

As always, appreciate any thoughts / advice you might have.

Cheers

Paul

If the amp is wired as the schematic is, I don't see why volume at '0' wouldn't mute the amp. You must have a wiring error or missing ground connection. The volume controls ground the grids of the following tube/gain stage (V1b and V2b). Put your meter on the actual grid pin of the tube and turn the volume all the way down. Measure the resistance from grid to ground and verify that the tube grid is indeed at ground potential.
    Last edited by The Dude; 05-11-2020, 11:58 PM.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks for the prompt response. Yeah I figured I’m missing something... or something is missing from the schematic.

Checked resistance from grid to ground on all grids of V1 and V2 and all read zero. When I tested V1B and V2B grids the sound would drop to around half - guessing as a result of killing one of the grids - but seems the sound is concurrently going through both channels even though they are meant to be separate channels.. even if instrument is only plugged into one channel seems to be going through both V1 and V2.

So with volume pots seemingly wired and functioning ok and V1 and V2 grids grounded ok where else should I look?

Cheers

Comment

Is there a decoupling/filter cap on the 186V node that is not shown? Some of your plate supply schematic looks wrong.

Comment

Pull V1. Does EFFECTS channel still come through like this? Put V1 back and pull V2. Same question about normal channel.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I do not trust that schematic at all.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Hi Enzo

Thanks for the response. Forgot to mention in my original description that I did pull V1 and V2 and found that with V1 pulled only channel 2 (effects) had the volume bleed and with V2 pulled only channel one had volume bleed.

Comment

No - I have been losing faith in the schematic also as I have progressed, but was all I could find as there isn’t a lot published on these amps that I can find. I believe it was drawn up by a user on an Aussie guitar amp forum.

However I did find some reasonable quality guy shots of a stock version of the amp and it looks close but have noted some discrepancies that I have applied and didn’t help as yet (could also be slight variation between model years I suppose).

Comment

Ref the 186v supply, if I trace it in my amp it goes:

22uf cap -> dropping resistor -> then splits into four dropping resistors to feed each triode in the preamp. So based on this reflects the scehamatic as drawn.

V1 and V2 both are wired as per schematic. Cathode bypass caps have been replaced with modern sprague. Resistors look to be original as does most of the wiring.

Comment

Just a note: the four 220k resistors would not be dropping resistors, they would be plate loads.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Without a decoupling cap on the 186V node you've got a four-input anode mixer *post* volume control, so no wonder you've got bleed. Add a 10-22uF decoupling cap at that node, should fix it right up.

Comment

I am with the Dude. There must be a filter/decoupling cap for the 186V node. Otherwise the preamp tubes will use the 22k dropper resistor as a shared, additional plate load and signal will bleed over.

Just try to connect an additional 22µ cap betwee the 186V line and ground and see if it helps.

Edit: Missed the last post above.
                        Last edited by Helmholtz; 05-12-2020, 02:24 PM.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                          Just a note: the four 220k resistors would not be dropping resistors, they would be plate loads.
                          Enzo - thanks for picking me up on terminology - yes, plate load resistors. I kinda knew that after reviewing a lot of Robinettes Annotated Fender schematics you try and get some ideas for what might be up with this circuit, but still getting the lingo!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Robinson View Post
                            Without a decoupling cap on the 186V node you've got a four-input anode mixer *post* volume control, so no wonder you've got bleed. Add a 10-22uF decoupling cap at that node, should fix it right up.
                            Hi Greg, thanks for the advice. I’ll give that a go today and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                              I am with the Dude. There must be a filter/decoupling cap for the 186V node. Otherwise the preamp tubes will use the 22k dropper resistor as a shared, additional plate load and signal will bleed over.

Just try to connect an additional 22µ cap betwee the 186V line and ground and see if it helps.

Edit: Missed the last post above.
                              Yep. That was my thought. I wasn't sure at first if it was a schematic error, or if there was actually a node without a decoupling cap.

I also found this, which may or may not help. It's another schematic for the 408R. It's a bit different than the one in post #1.

408R.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X