Changing a 100K linear volume pot to 1M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing a 100K linear volume pot to 1M

I have an Miyuki ELK ES30 amp from 70s Japan armed to the teeth with 12AX7s and EL84s. The previous owner had it serviced and the volume pot was changed. The shaft isn't the same length and pushes the knob forward in a slanted angle.

I was going to replace it, but then i noticed it was written B100K Ohm on the back of the pot (linear taper?). Most amps have 1M volume pots, so why 100K? Also using a ohmmeter, i can read 73K. So it's either of very bad quality or another component is acting in parallel.

This amp is very rare and couldn't find schematics anywhere. The only one i found was for their Twin Amp 50 model which has 1M volume pots.

Should I go with a 100K or 1M pot to replace it? Other than this cosmetic issue, the amp sounds surprisingly fine. Would it benefit from a higher value pot?

Thanks for the help and knowledge.
    Do

If it's been replaced then it probably was a 1meg audio. It wont hurt anything to try a 1meg audio in place of the 100k. You'll probably notice an increase in gain which may be desireable or not.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Twist.

I will do the modification and see what happens. I just hope it doesn't increase the gain in the not desirable way.

Comment

If it is a straight voltage divider, it shouldn't affect gain much. If however it is part of a larger divider, that will alter its "share" of things and will up the signal level.

I guess an easy way to describe that would be that there is a resistor between the top of the pot and wherever the signal came from.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hi all,
          I am Boris from Belgium. I also have a ELK ES-30 (similar to Elk Stageman model). I also searched for years for the schematics. Last year I found someone in the US who worked in the Elk Miyuki factory. I have now a copy of the original schematic for this amp. I would like to scan it and send it to the site of drtube (www.drtube.com), this site has allready the schematics for the Twin Amp 50. For all the ES-30 and Stageman owners who searched for the schematic, the search will soon be over

Greetz!

Comment

ELK ES 30 volume pot.

Greetings from the former ELK employee. The company skematics that I have show a 250KB volume pot for both the ES30 and the EB202s which is the TWIN 50. However, they did make changes to enhance the product without changing the schematic, so a 1MKB is not out of the question. The 50 head I have, has the 1MB pots.
            The 100k pot is the worst choice . ( 500 anyone ? ) Happy pickin' Joe Fire

Comment

Elk Miyuki help?

Hey guys, sorry to hijack an old thread but I was wondering if anybody might be able to help me out with my Elk head. It's a Custom 45, model EB-207s and I'm going to hire a local tech to refurbish this amp as I remember how great it sounded when it was working.

I'm trying to do a little research before I pay for the fix and I was hoping someone out there might be able to help me out. Does anybody have the schematic for this model and does anyone have any advice when replacing parts to avoid the weaknesses encountered with these amps?

Thanks very much,

The luddite guitar player
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X