70MFD 350V Cap Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70MFD 350V Cap Replacement

I am ordering some caps for my Fender Twin Reverb. Ther are two 70MFD 350v caps. Can I replace them with an 80MFD 450v? Also someone recommended replacing the 25MFD 25v's with 50v versions. Does this sound correct?

Yes, the values that you propose would work well as replacements for the originals.

Comment

You can always use higher voltage caps, and in filter caps, higher capacitance rarely hurts except right out of a recto tube.

If you were talking about the 25uf 25v caps on the cathodes, I don'r see the need for higher voltages. Since the cost is similar, if you want to order new caps, sure get the 50v ones since they might be also useful elsewhere. But don't pull good 25v caps out just to make them 50v. That is a waste. Consider that they sit there with maybe 2v of DC on them, and to even hit 25v, there would need to be 23v of signal there. If there is that hot a signal, then consider higher voltage caps. Generally there is not.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Remember those 70/350V caps are placed in series for a total of 700V working voltage, so yes two 80/450V caps connected similarly would work but not one 80/450V to replace both caps.

Just wanted to mention...

Comment

Good point. I was assuming he was going to just replace them striaght up, but I should know better than to assume that.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Also 100uf/100v caps are easy to find & commonly used for the bias supply.

Comment

Working...
            X