fender twin tone problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fender twin tone problems

i have a 80ish sf315watt fender twin that is giving me fits. after having a filter cap job done on it 3months ago it has never sounded right. it doesnt have that clean fender tone anymore if you go past2 and the tone doesnt seem even for lack of a better word. the bass is to much, cut it back and its too trebley, the mids dont seem to do any thing until 8/9 and it no longer works well with my over drive pedal anymore. ive had it to several techs and they say everything checks out but me and everyone in the band hears the difference. someone on another site i go to suggest it could be coupling caps. any suggestions, help?

First of all, I'd like to know exactly what amp you have. sf315watt doesn't sound like anything I'm familliar with. Second of all, do any of these so called techs have an oscilloscope?
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Just changing the filter caps in the power supply wouldn't alter the tone of the amp. If anything it should make it tighter and punchier. Do both channels behave the same way now? How many different techs have you taken it to? Techs that are also musicians will understand what your tonal concerns are. I'm not saying all musicians would make good techs. What is the exact model you have?

Comment

iam sorry i didnt make things clear. this is a silverfaced 1980 135ultralinear fender twin. i have no clue as to what these techs have or use i only know it been through 3 already. i still have the same problem each time they change something. none of them are musicians.and yes it sounds the same on both channels.

Comment

tone

If this is a late 70's linear silver faced twin with a pull out master volume. The you are hearing what it should sound like. What you were used to hearing was a bad amp...faulty components, and your ear is trained to that sound. Though the amp might not be biased correctly & biased colder than it was.....as this should have been checked as part of the job. Those amps don't have an adjustable bias pot in the circuit & have to be hard biased with swapping out resistors while watching readings. The pot thats is in the circuit is a balancing pot for the 2 tube pairs...2 push & 2 pull tubes.

Comment

Working...
          X