Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who uses what to vacuum a dusty chassis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randall View Post
    I avoid compressed air for cleaning. It blows some of the dirt and dust deeper into some parts. Not to mention breathing it.
    Of course we had vacuums for delicate/sensitive stuff when necessary. You didn't breath the dust. That's why it was done outside. But we had good weather year round.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
      NECRO-THREAD ALERT!
      But here we are five years later and I'm still using the same shop vac.
      At least once a month I get some amp with all matter of crap in the cabinet of an old amp, rat/mouse/critter droppings, dog food....usually in old Ampegs.
      Is there a rule that old Ampegs MUST be stored in a barn or attic or something?
      Thats funny,but so true.Ampeg combo's are hands down the dirtiest,most spider web infested cabs I ever see.
      For crud in the chassis and on the face plate nothing works like lighter fluid.Its even safe and effective on guitar finishes.A guy bought me a PRS with a "10 top" his son covered with bumper sticker type "decorations",lighter fluid takes everything off,and leaves no harmful deposits.

Comment

Originally posted by stokes View Post
        ...lighter fluid takes everything off,and leaves no harmful deposits.
        I still remember the first time I saw a guy squirt lighter fluid directly on a guitar finish and then wiped it down. It freaked me out! I still can't bring myself to use it on any of my guitars.
        Last edited by Tom Phillips; 10-28-2013, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
          I still remember the first time I saw a guy skirt lighter flud directly on a guitar finish and then wiped it down. It freaked me out! I still can't bring myself to use it on any of my guitars.
          Didn't Jimi Hendrix do that at the Monterey Pop Festival ?
          Last edited by olddawg; 10-28-2013, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Tom,it is absolutely the best cleaner for anything.I use it on guitars and fret boards all the time.Its pure naptha,which is the main ingredient in cleaners like "Goof-Off" and Goo-b-gone.I remember as a kid there was a commercial carpet cleaner in the neighborhood,back in the days before steam cleaners,and people would actually send their carpets in to be cleaned.The name of the place was "Naptha Inc."The whole area smelled like lighter fluid.
            It will leave a slight hazy film after first cleaning gook a off a glossy finish,but that comes right off with a wipe with a clean cloth.As safe or safer than any cleaner I've ever used.

Comment

I use naptha to clean both fretboards and the nitro finishes on my old Gibsons. nothing's better.
              "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I have a service vacuum that cost a weeks wages in 1993. It's superbly built and will outlast me. All sorts of approvals for working in potentially explosive environments, and to prevent ignition of carbon toner dust - it was a requirement in some places I worked, but OTT for amp repair. It's anti-static and has a sealed motor (no brush sparks).

But, it actually isn't that good as a vacuum - too many filtration layers and the sealed motor isn't very powerful. My Henry beats it hands down.

When I was servicing industrial SMPT battery chargers I took out the PCBs, squirted them with 'Elbow Grease' degreaser and hosed them off. Same with the casing. It all came up like new. A good shake and a few hours drying in a warm place, carry out any repairs and they went together as service-exchange units. A lot of PCBs are water-washed during manufacture, so this is OK.

Comment

Working...
                X