peavey classic 60 trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peavey classic 60 trouble

My question is I have a peavey classic 60 tube power amp. I took it to a store to have a bad hum repaired. The guy said he replace 2 tubes and a blown fuse charged me $113. He said it worked for 5 hours. Now the standby switch doesnt' work. I traced it back and found the two leads from the control board. I replaced all the other fuses and now I am at a loss. If it is the standy switch could I splice the two leads from the board and make it work until I replace the switch?

Took him 5 hours to replace two tubes and a fuse?

Regardless, he returned it to you after charging you money and it is not working right. I would return it to him and tell him you expect it to be working.

Yes, you could short across the stansdby switch and it should function. But is it really that the standby switch doesn't work? Or is it really that when the standby switch is flipped, the amp doesn't work?

It would be simple to check the switch. Power off and drain it. Measure resistance across the switch. The switch unplugs from the board d0esn't it? So unplug it and stick the ohm meter probes into the connector. Flip the switch off and on. Does it work?

Before you cut into the wiring, take some voltage readings. With the amp on and the standby switch also on, so it should be ready to play, see if there is B+ voltage on the standby switch, both terminals. There is a large 10 watt resistor between the filter caps. Is ther B+ on both ends? I don't know what the B+ voltage is, I'd expect something like 465-480v. You will either have several hundred volts or none at all.

If the green standby status LED does not come on, then ther eis no B+ coming through that resistor, for whatever reason.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I hade the same amp, no probs

First off, replacing a fuse to fix a hum problem does not make sense to me.

Now, you say you replaced all the other fuses, correct? Let's still assume that fuses were not the problem. You then said you traced the wires back to the circuit board. If memory serves the Peavey uses ribbon wire with plugs that connect right on to other board. Why not remove the suspected problems wires and hard wire straight to the board? First I would try to take ohm readings at both ends of each conductor in the ribbon cable.

Really you have to do this before you could move on. The standby switch is just that. A switch. It works or it doesn't.

Good luck and hope this helped. -Black.

Comment

Working...
      X