No announcement yet.

Echoplex EP-2 won't record!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have wound my own, and I found proper tape tension made a large difference in how well it pulled the tape out. I don;t mean tension from the capstan, I mean how tight it was wrapped in the first place.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Regis View Post
      Someone is selling the Fuller tapes on Ebay right now for $31.00. The Battle people also sell them on ebay, do a search for echoplex tape. They give a snail mail address only on their webpage, without any prices.

While we are on the subject, I would recommend anyone with a vintage echoplex to buy several new tapes right now. I get the impression that Mike Battle, or his son or whomever is running that operation is fixing to give it up. Mike Fuller doesn't like to sell his tapes to anyone that doesn't have a TTE. So if the supply of Plex tape cartridges dries up and you don't have one, instead of a nice vintage delay device you'll have a nice doorstop on your hands.

The cartridges can be refilled if you have them and having two or three on hand guarantees you'll be able to use your plex until the end of time.
      Mike Battle is no longer with us.
      http://www.tubeplex.com/index.html

I buy old 8 track tapes that are either new or low mileage and use the tape from them to refill the e-plex carts.
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
        Mike Battle is no longer with us.
        http://www.tubeplex.com/index.html

I buy old 8 track tapes that are either new or low mileage and use the tape from them to refill the e-plex carts.
        I'm aware of that. If you'd bothered to go to my echoplex page, a link which I provided earlier in this thread, you would know that. The post you quoted was posted before Mike died.

I also state on my web page about using 8 track tapes. Try reading the thread before posting next time.
        Stop by my web page!

Comment

Originally posted by Regis View Post
          I'm aware of that. If you'd bothered to go to my echoplex page, a link which I provided earlier in this thread, you would know that. The post you quoted was posted before Mike died.

I also state on my web page about using 8 track tapes. Try reading the thread before posting next time.
          Jeebus man....lay off the coffee
          Who says you're the only one who ever thought of using 8 trk cart tape for echoplex carts? Common sense. Graphite backcoated 1/4" tape is what it is no matter where it came from. Mike Battle prolly stole the whole idea from the Muntz cart tape system from way back, which was licensed to Lear and then became the "modern" 8 trk cart tape.

Comment

Ok...I went to your echoplex page.....happy? Just a note here....the "sandpaper tape" you refer to I don't think applies to modern mastering tape, which is "calendered" or polished. Its not that hard on heads/tape guides. The stiffness of 1.5 mil high output tape is what causes alot of the wear. Multitrack head stacks are mega expensive and engineers wouldn't use a tape that would chew up the headstacks in short order. At 30 IPS it wouldn't take long. Unpolished tape such as Ampex 631, Scotch 111 and several other older or lower grade formulations *are* hard on heads and guides. It has the appearance of fine sandpaper and pretty much the same net effect.

Comment

did you plug the on and off foot control in? if the echo was turned off with a foot switch it wont turn back on without hitting the switch again

frank uboat

Comment

Working...
              X