Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Input jacks in PCB amp: shorting or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input jacks in PCB amp: shorting or not?

I have been asked to replace the broken input jacks in a Koch Multitone tube amp.
    This is a pcb amp, the jacks are the plastic sealed type (see attached photo) and I am not sure if they are the shorting type. I need this info also in case I want to replace them with more traditional Switchcraft jacks.
    FYI each jack has got four lugs soldered to the pcb.
    Attached Files
    Carlo Pipitone

study how the tab on one side physically moves up and disconnects from the other contact when you insert a plug. Draw it out on a piece of paper, etc. to understand it. Once you understand it, it should be simple to figure out what to do.

Comment

Yes, they are the shorting type. This style jack always has shorting contacts.

The contacts are tip and sleeve, and each one has a normally closed switch contact.

These look like the type that have the small chromed threaded insert nuts, like old style Marshall's and original Fuzz Faces.

Comment

Switchcrafts are More traditional? Tell that to Marshall.

WHy not just get a couple new CLiff jacks - or Rean, or Neutrik - and solder them in? They will drop right in place, fit the holes, cause no trouble.

There is no brand of jack on the market that cannot be bent or sprung.

Yours are, as mentioned above, shorting type jacks, but look at the pc board traces under them to see which - if any - shorting contacts are in use.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thank you guys.
          Re: Switchcrafts vs. others, I mentioned them because I have a few Switchcrafts at home while I'll have to order the plastic type online.
          But it's easier to use a drop-in replacement rather than finding out how to wire a Switchcraft... so I guess I'll order plastics
          Carlo Pipitone

Comment

Working...
          X