Crate GX2200H - Blowing Fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate GX2200H - Blowing Fuses

I have recently picked up a Crate GX2200H which did not power up. I checked the fuse and it was blown. I picked up the appropriate replacement fuse from Radio Shack and replaced the burnt one. I was hoping for the best and that would be the extent of the repairs. I turned on the amp and within 2seconds it blew the fuse again. I checked all of the components and didn't see anything noticable (burns, cracks, broken pieces), and the wires looked solidly connected. The reverb unit was broken and there was a springs in the cabinet, but not at the time I fired it up. The reverb unit also has a loose spring partially disconnected. Does the reverb unit need to be connected?

I don't know a whole lot about electronics, but I can solder some, and I tinker pretty well. The repair center is $80 an hour. I was trying to avoid that cost if possible.

Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    G.

Unless you are familiar with a multifunction DMM you may need to have the repair shop look at it. It most likely has shorted outputs (and associated components) or shorted power transformer. You'll need a source for parts and probably a schematic. As far as the $80 the shop will charge, every tech has his price but I would probably charge about $75 or $80 for the rebuild including parts. The reverb tray sounds like it's trashed. Your looking at anywhere from $20 to $30 for a replacement unless you can find an appropiate used one. Of course there will other opinions.

Comment

I agree, my shop would probably charge about $70-80 also.

First thing to look for is shorted power transistors on the heat sink. After that I think main rectifiers, then much firther down the list are shorted filters, and transformers.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will probably end up taking it to a shop.

I only have an issue with paying the $80, if it turns out to be something that I could have easily fixed myself. That is why I wanted to check to see if I could eliminate the simple things first. It sounds like it is will not be as simple as I had hoped. I now have to decide if it is worth the money to fix it.

Thanks again,
        G.

Comment

Working...
        X