Fender Princeton Reverb (Hum) No Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Princeton Reverb (Hum) No Sound

I have a silver face princeton reverb say late 60's or so. (Idon't know how to tell the exact year)..Anyway, when I was using it one night the sound faded out and it started humming. Now when I turn it on, it just hums, The power tube gets red hot and so dose the power transformer, to the point where it starts to smoke if I leave it on long enough. However, if I pull the tube, before I power up, the power transformer runs at a normal temp. I tried a different power tube. Any help on this one.
    Thanks. Dennis

Your power tubes are drawing too much current,it could be a bias problem or something worse.If you arent well versed in trouble shooting an amp,I would say it is time to find someone who can.Dont run the amp till you get it fixed,you could do more damage to the amp,if it hasnt already.

Comment

You say power tube.... singular, which makes me think you might be talking about the rectifier tube.
      Yes... No?
      As stokes stated... careful with these amps and overheating.
      It is one of the very few Fender amps made which I can testify to having more occurrences of blowing the power tranny then any except the Vibro Champ... which I think used the same power transformer!!
      The Princeton is also notorious for blowing the 1 watt 1000 ohm screen node resistor on the eyelet board.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
      X