Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What value in uF and Voltage should filter caps be in a AB165 Bassman circuit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What value in uF and Voltage should filter caps be in a AB165 Bassman circuit???

I would like to replace mine and there is a hodge podge of different values in there right now.

thanks
    Eric t
    ~~~Great spirits have always encountered violent
    opposition from mediocre minds. ~~~Albert Einstein
    sigpic

Thank You to all the great people on this site for helping me learn how to harness the power of the electron for good ... TONE!

The first stack is two 70uf @ 350v then the rest are 20uf @ 525v.

Comment

Originally posted by signalpaths View Post
      I would like to replace mine and there is a hodge podge of different values in there right now.
      thanks
      Eric t
      For the main high voltage power supply caps get yourself three, 20uF to 22uF axial caps at 500v and two 100uf@350v axial caps.
      For the bias supply, use a 68uF@100v to 100uF@100v axial cap.
      For the eyelet board use five standard 22uF@50v to 25uF@50v axial caps.
      You can get all these from a number of different suppliers such as http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com or http://www.tubesandmore.com
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks guys for the quick response. The caps that are in there are 220uf @ 500V is that way off or whats the deal?? Was this a mod that someone before me did??

thanks
        ERic t
        sigpic

Thank You to all the great people on this site for helping me learn how to harness the power of the electron for good ... TONE!

Comment

Thanks guys for the quick response. The caps that are in there are 220uf @ 500V is that way off or whats the deal?? Was this a mod that someone before me did??

thanks
          ERic t
          Those amps never had 220uF caps in there. The standard values are 70uF@350v so the next easily available cap is one size up, 100uF@350v.
          However, two 220uF@350v will work OK if you want to leave it.
          I've used that value in Twin Reverb amps (four 6L6GCs).
          Bruce

Mission Amps
          Denver, CO. 80022
          www.missionamps.com
          303-955-2412

Comment

Could the 220uF caps be because it has been modded to el 34s?

Eric
            sigpic

Comment

Could the 220uF caps be because it has been modded to el 34s?

Eric
              Some techs will increase the value of those caps to 220uF to keep the amp from getting flabby on the bass end when you dime it. Extra filtering when you push the power tubes into saturation keep the tone together if the amp tends to get loose on the bottom end. If you plan on running it full out, I'd leave that value in there, but if you're just looking for cleaner tones, the stock 70uF are plenty fine.

I know Gerald Weber has often said that he recommends that for Fender amps if the intent is to push them hard into overdrive.

Comment

Working...
              X