Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While I am at it, I might at well..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While I am at it, I might at well..........

While servicing an amp what should you do as a matter of course?

For example:
    Replace all electrolytic caps (older amp)
    Touch up cold solder joints
    Install new 3 prong plug (2 prong or missing ground)
    Clean contacts
    Clean pots
    Tighten nuts

Thanks,
    David

I fix it first, THEN I do upgrades. Why complicate the repair process by adding unrelated activities? The amp may really seriously need new filter caps, but unless they are the cause of teh problem you are fixing, leave them for later. You start replacing a lot of stuff wholesale, and soon enough your work will cause some new problem. If you make teh amp work first, then any new trouble that arises after upgrades you will KNOW came from a bad part or a miswire. If you slam a lot of new parts in there first, who knows where p[roblems come from.

That is just my opinion.

Now would I do those things? Sure, mostly. once repairs are made, I will always check operation, all functions. If controls are noisy, I clean them. if they are not, I see no reason to squirt things into them.

I recommend three wire cords, but I always ASK the customer first. Two wire cords are only on older stuff, and to the owner original-ness might be important.

I check for loose hardware, all the stuff on the panel - jacks and controls - but also the transformer mounts, the handles, the whatever.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
    X