testing transistor temp sensitivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• testing transistor temp sensitivity

how does one go about heating up and cooling down xistors? I've been reading some post that suggest that when troubleshooting, for example, oscillations.

ive tested for runaway heat with my fingers when troubleshooting an amp (instead of blowing 10$ worth of transistors i turned it off when it heated up too much). not sure if thats what your looking for though

Comment

Freezer spray and a hairdryer.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Exactly my first thought too.

To heat small areas and individual parts a hairdryer works. You can buy a real heat gun, but they are not cheap. They get a LOT hotter than a hair dryer, and I also use mine to shrink heat-shrink tubing. COmes with little attachments to direct the hot air to small places.

SOmetimes you just want to warm the whole thing up some. FOld a bath towell and lay it on top of the circuit. That will let heat build up. Or a reflector bulb in a clamp-on light socket sitting right over the circuit. The 120 watt one over my bench to light up close work also throws off some heat, especially if you are only a few inches from it. You could even get one of those "heat lamps" from the store for th socket. Those things are for heating the whole thing up.

circuit chiller - used to be plain Freon in a spray can - will direct a stream of instant freeze on a small area and chill parts instantly. In a pinch, a squirt of contact cleaner will also chill a part, if you have no Freezit. Not as much as the stuff made for the job, but often it's enough to tell if the part is sensitive. SPray cans of Redi-Whip will also cool circuits, but I don't recommend it.

And really, a little TO92 xstr or even a small resistor, to cool it a litle, just pinch it between the jaws of your small pliers. The metal will conduct some heat away. DOn't crush the thing, just grip.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You can also take a can of duster air and turn it upside down....instant freeze spray.

> SPray cans of Redi-Whip will also cool circuits, but I don't recommend it.

WHIPPITS??!! Naw....it makes the transistors giggly and slow
          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
            X