Bad L-Pad SWR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad L-Pad SWR?

This cab's tweeter is sounding quite bad. I removed the crossover board from the cab and am measuring the rheostat. This should measure like a pot right? It is measuring 0ohms no matter where it is set to. The tweeter driver is fine.

Aside: Is this REALLY a true L-pad in ss amp cabs? I read that an L-pad was 2 rheostats that worked together to maintain a constant load impedance regardless of how much power was attenuated to the speaker. Technically these attenuators in bass cabs do not seem like true L-pads.... is this correct?

Originally posted by lowell View Post
    Is this REALLY a true L-pad in ss amp cabs? I read that an L-pad was 2 rheostats that worked together to maintain a constant load impedance regardless of how much power was attenuated to the speaker. Technically these attenuators in bass cabs do not seem like true L-pads.... is this correct?
    Yes, you would use an L-Pad to control the volume of a speaker connected directly to an amplifier, thereby keeping the load seen by the amp at a constant level.

The tweeter is isolated from the amp output by the crossover cap and the wirewound control just sets level of the signal going to the HF driver.

Comment

Not being familiar w/ L-Pads I tested this one w/ my ohmmeter and the ohmmeter reads shorted no matter where the l-pad is. Do L-Pads test like a normal pot? I have a feeling they don't.

Comment

Did you rewmove it from the circuit to measure it? All it takes is an inductor across it to make it read short.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I just remeasured and it is reading something but if I push on the knob at all there is a short... where can I get one of these for replacement? I emailed SWR but never done this so don't know if they'll get back to me.

Comment

L-pads are generic. Most places that sell speaker stuff sell them.

MCM sells several

Stock number 50-080 is a 50 watt, they also make 100 watt.

Parts Express sells all kinds of speaker related stuff

They seem to have a larger selection than MCM check out stock 260-252

They come in various wattages and in varous impedances, mostly 8 ohm but also 16.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

nice thanks!

Comment

I've built a couple of amp attenuators using Parts Express L-Pads.

Here is one.
                Stop by my web page!

Comment

very cool! like the fan too!

Comment

Working...
                  X