Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall 8040 - How do I get at the pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 8040 - How do I get at the pots?

Hi, I have an 8040 which has noisy pots and I need to get at them to spray clean them. I've tried several times to take the thing apart but can't figure it out - I ge so far and have to rebuild it, d'oh... I contacted Marshall and they said I shouldn't do it! Can anyone give me simple instructions on how to take the thing apart and get to the pots? Thanks.

MArshall won't tell someone who can't figure out disassembly because they fear you might injure yourself. They have no idea what you can do safely.

AMps all come apart the same way. Pull the knobs off. If there are nuts on the shafts, remove them. The circuit board will be anchored to the chassis somehow - screws, plastic catcges, whatever. Free those. The thing should come free. There wil still be wires attached of course.

I don't usually have to remove the board to clean controls. If there are conventional pots, I often set one end of the chassis on the bench, and lift the other end up over my head, so I am looking up into the underside of the chassis. Now I can aim my spray tube towards the opening in each pot and apply a low stream. I let gravity drip it on into the pot.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thanks

I've now got the amp out of the case. Just needed a bit of brute force. I unscrewed it all okay but one of the fixings was glued to the inside of the case! Gave it a good tug and it all came apart. Thanks :-)

Comment

Oh, see, that is why the factory won't tell you how. I assumed you had the chassis out. You didn;t specify you meant taking the chassis out.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thanks again

this is a combo so it's all in one piece. probably should have made that clear?? anyway your advice was good and gave me confidence to finally get the thing apart. no crackles now, sounds sweet with my Epiphone Les Paul. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
          X