Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, new '77 Princeton Reverb

Hi all,

This looks like the place to be for real amp answers! I've just acquired a '77 SF Princeton Reverb. Here are some details of the amp:

It has the push/pull boost knob. It was "upgraded" to a 12" speaker. Amp works fine. Very loud. The speaker looks to be a Fender replacement speaker (made by Eminence, I believe). It's pretty loud. Not as bright sounding as a reissue '65 PR I played at GC a few weeks back. But it has a great distortion when turned up loud. I also don't mind the "boost" knob sound. Of course, I have to radically turn down the treble to 3 to make it sound good!

The reverb seems weak. I basically have to turn it to ten to get some real volume. The tremolo also seems weak. You don't get a strong tremolo effect when on ten.

I'd love to hear from people who own these, and thoughts of next steps to improve the sound.

Thanks,
    Mutato
    Attached Files

Toss some new tubes in there and see if they come alive... If not then there might be a bad component somewhere.

Comment

Before the tubes replace all the electrolytic caps ("cap job") 31 years is over twice the designed service life and back electolytics can cause all sortza funky stuff including weak reverb and tremelo (and fleas on your dogs in warm weather <grin>).

Rob

Comment

Working...
      X