Marshall as100d 120v plugged 240v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall as100d 120v plugged 240v

Hi everyone! I have a Marshall AS100D 120v that not power up! The guy who brought it said that he plugged in into 240v socket by mistake! What I managed to test so far is the transformer, that seems alright! When power it up with testing lamb connected on the main fuse the only thing is a deep buzz coming from speaker! Do you have any idea where to start with? Every help appreciate! Thanks

Pull all the tubes and start with power supply. Are all voltages present?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo, It’s a solid state amp! I suspect some of the output transistors! But not sure yet!

Comment

Sorry, so no tubes anyway. NO SPEAKER LOAD until you make the amp stable adn no DC on the output.

You said you powered it up with a bulb, but what did the bulb do? Glow bright or dim?

In any case, first thing I'd suspect would be caps over voltaged. Thus wanting to check power supplies.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I powered up with external step down transformer 240-120v with 80w halogen bulb on the fuse! So the bulb is not so bright because of low voltage but definitely there is short! The fuse blowing out straight away!

Comment

Start isolating the problem. Disconnect ALL secondary wires from the power transformer and power it up with its wires in the air, still draws excess current? Check power supply rectifiers, any shorted? Your meter only works at low voltage, but do any filter caps measure as shorted? You have two power amp CIs, one or both could be shorted, try gently removing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Relase View Post
              I powered up with external step down transformer 240-120v with 80w halogen bulb on the fuse! So the bulb is not so bright because of low voltage but definitely there is short! The fuse blowing out straight away!
              What country are you in and what is the line voltage?
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I am in UK! The standart voltage is 240v

Comment

Ok. I'm not sure why you are blowing fuses but your limiter lamp is dim. It should be lighting up bright I would think. You have the bulb wired there instead of the fuse?
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes correct! The bulb is wired on the fuse!

Comment

If it lights dimly, is the output stage damaged I wonder.
                      The thing to do is isolate the fault.
                      Can you put + - DC supply on the amplifier with a power supply and monitor the current?
                      Or remove the output chips and test again with your bulb limiter.
                      Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
                      If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Thanks! I’ll try all suggestions and let you know how are the things!

Comment

I have attached the power supply schematic which includes the dual power amp (LM3886 ic)

Attached Files

Comment

Hi colleagues, sorry for my late response! All sorted! Found one of the amplifier lm3886 gone and one diode blown! Replaced with new ones and all running now! The only thing what I found after is that both speaker’s tweeters don’t work! I have got 1-2 OMs on the terminals. Any suggestions for any fix or have to replace them? Thanks

Comment

They are probably piezos, are they not? And those will test like capacitors, infinite resistance.

Comment

Working...
                              X