No announcement yet.

Carvin VTX100 Head Diagnostics Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the operators manual, sounds like ring is return. So if you plug halfway in and connect to signal generator, you bypass early preamp stages.
    The jacks are shown on schematic called 'CH1 Break-In', 'CH2 Break-In'.
    You could also plug a cord full way in and scope it. It (tip) will act as a FX send or pre-out to a board, etc.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by misterc57 View Post

Should I connect a speaker and see how it sounds?
      Just noticed this. Do you have a load hooked up to the output? Tube amps always need a load, either a speaker or something to represent it like a power resistor.

Comment

Yes it is connected to a dummy load. I will be scoping the send and return scenarios next. Thank you!

Comment

Fully inserted phono plug into 'CH1 Break-In'. Connected scope to the phono plug. 1K 500mV sinewave coming off the signal generator.

Sustain switch in the OUT position. Reverb and Drive pots at zero. Master volume at about 20%.

Not a clean sine-wave. Also the peak to peak is not stable and drops after a short amount of time then rises back up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	preamp-out (2).jpg
Views:	213
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	908271

Click image for larger version

Name:	preamp-out (1).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	908270

Comment

Good news! New stuff have come to light!

Channel 2 is working great. Clean sine wave all the way to the output. Last time I checked Channel 2 I did not realize I had to use the Channel 2 input jack, my error.

So Channel 1 has issues that need some debugging,

Comment

Nice! Always nice to have one working channel to use as a baseline to compare the broken one to.

Comment

Channel 1 is having issues in the 7 band graphic EQ block.

Signal is going in and not going out. I see this at IC 4558, signal comes in at pin 6, no signal at pin 1, 2 or 3.

I swapped out the 4558 with a NE5532. Problem fixed. Channel 1 is working. Got to love socketed ICs.

Are dual op-amps pretty much interchangeable? I would like to add a few to my next order. Any recommendations on a most commonly used one?

Thank you
                Last edited by misterc57; 06-28-2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X