Orange Rocker 32 blows main fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Rocker 32 blows main fuse

Got this in the shop today and the owner has blown two 500mA mains fuses within a few weeks of each other but I can't find anything wrong with the amp. Nothing is shorted on the primary - dim bulb confirms that. Tested all the EL84's (stereo - 2 pairs) and they test great. Bias looks good as well as they are all between 32 and 35mA at 304v plate to cathode with each pair cathode biased. I played the amp looking for oscillations - none. Chopsticked the amp looking for bad connections - none. Tapped the tubes looking for fireworks - none. My only clues are I have one EL84 with part of the label discolored like it could had redplated at some point although it is not doing it now. Lastly, the amp kicks my variac amp meter pretty hard when I take it out of standby, about 3A momentarily and it doesn't seem to matter how long I wait. Did I miss anything?

Well.. I think I just figured it out. The first time the fuse blew they put in the spare which was actually the spare for the HT fuse at 500mA. Looking on the back , it clearly states the 120V mains fuse requires a 2A. I looked at my notes from the last one of these I worked on and it also had a blown mains fuse but I found a 1A in there for the 220v circuit. I wonder if these are coming over to the US with the right voltage selected but with the wrong mains fuse? Regardless, I am going to put a 2A in there and call it good.

Comment

Just saw this in the users manual, "If the product is to be used outside of the factory set region, ensure the voltage selector switch (found on the rear or side panel) is set to the correct voltage for the new country/region and that the appropriate mains fuse is fitted in the pull-out fuse tray below the IEC mains input." Curious if you all have run into this with orange amps?

Comment

Working...
      X