Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox V9310 Cambridge 30 Reverb - low output power and lots of distortion

Schematic attached.

Backstory: The stock LT9914 optoisolator was bad - common failure. Replaced with VTL5C3 (supposedly an appropriate, more reliable substitute). VR1 may be faulty as well - new part on order.

So the issue at hand now is that seemingly no matter how I adjust VR11 and VR12, I either get very little output, hard clipping, or both.
    Attached Files

Have you got a clean audio signal on IC7 pin 1?
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
      Have you got a clean audio signal on IC7 pin 1?
      Just pulled the scope out to check, 1KHz sine checks out clean at pin 1. Clipping seems to be isolated to the TDA2050.

Comment

As the TDA2050 is only a car radio amplifier, check the output is clean, if it isn't replace the TDA. Anything will do. TDA2030, TDA2050, LM1875 .. whatever you have to hand, that will check the problem.
        Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
        If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

I'll need to order a suitable replacment, but that's on the list of things to try.

Comment

LM1875T ordered. Will report back Friday when I've got it and the new clean volume pot installed.

Comment

Alright, LM1875T did not solve the problem.

Seems I get clean signal up to the output of IC6A/input of the power amp but the amp distorts like crazy at the power amp with any moderate level of signal swing.

Comment

D3 & D4 are good? Speaker is verified good?
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Does it distort through headphones? PLug a good speaker into JK4, the extension speaker jack, is it clear there?
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                    D3 & D4 are good? Speaker is verified good?
                    Will check on the diodes. Speakers are all shop speakers or my dummy load.
                    Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    Does it distort through headphones? PLug a good speaker into JK4, the extension speaker jack, is it clear there?
                    Headphones no clue, that's my next check. Doesn't matter if it's attached via the ext jack or the speaker wires (to a shop speaker).

Comment

Checked the diodes - D4 reads 0.524V and D3 0.667V. Neither seem to be at the point where I'd consider them bad.
                      Last edited by DFuller; 08-03-2020, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X