Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Champ XD

Hey folks,

I'm a little out of practice these days. Got this amp in the shop, with no sound, dead. There is no bias current. Literally 0mv.

Vplates - good 410v
    Vscreens - good 410v
    Bias voltage is about -33v
    Cathodes are good with about 500-700mv, and they measure pretty much zero ohms to ground/common (there is a diode and 1ohm in parallel in these amps)

I've brought the bias voltage all the way down to -5v... zero change in the bias current.

I've checked that the rectifier ground has continuity to the cathode grounds as well to be sure, and it's all good.

I'm getting 150ohm across both primaries, and about double, 315ohm, from end to end.

My thoughts - Bad output transformer. Would you all agree?

https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/the...-Schematic.pdf

I'm confused by this. You say you have "no bias current". Then you say you have 500-700mV at the cathodes. That's boat loads of voltage across a 1 ohm cathode resistor translating to very hot bias- well into red plate range. When you say you have "no bias current", where and how are you measuring it?

Edit: Have you checked the speaker? Do you have a scope?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Are the tube heaters glowing?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm confused by your post. On the schematic, at TP22 you should expect 40mV (0.040V) DC. That's where you measure the current flowing thru the pair of power tubes. 500-700mV would be burning up.

Are your power tubes shot?

--
        I build and repair guitar amps
        http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
          ......Are your power tubes shot?
          If not, they soon will be!

"I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

It sounds to me like the cathode resistors are open and you are getting .7V across the diodes. But you said you measured close to zero ohms across those 1 ohm resistors. Maybe check them again.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Duh, sorry, like I said - out of practice.

Vk is .6mv - so basically 0mv.

I have 0mv across the primaries, and with shunt method - 0ma.

Yes tubes are glowing.

There is clearly no current going thru the tubes

Comment

Well, I'll have to say this is a FIRST for me. It was the tubes. I didn't try a new pair of tubes cause I've never seen BOTH power tubes in a push pull amp not working (not drawing current). Strange... all fixed! Got 40mv Vk dialed in, amp works great.

Sorry to waste everyone's time.

Comment

Originally posted by lowell View Post
                  I'm a little out of practice these days. Got this amp in the shop, with no sound, dead. There is no bias current. Literally 0mv.

Vplates - good 410v
                  Vscreens - good 410v
                  Bias voltage is about -33v
                  Cathodes are good with about 500-700mv, and they measure pretty much zero ohms to ground/common (there is a diode and 1ohm in parallel in these amps)

I've brought the bias voltage all the way down to -5v... zero change in the bias current.

I've checked that the rectifier ground has continuity to the cathode grounds as well to be sure, and it's all good.

I'm getting 150ohm across both primaries, and about double, 315ohm, from end to end.

My thoughts - Bad output transformer. Would you all agree?
                  + HV and -Bias voltages are good
                  OT resistances (2 x 150 = 300 Ohm) are good. Output transformer is good.
                  Plates voltage (TP37 / TP38) and screen voltage (pin 4 V2 / V3) are good but no bias current (TP22).
                  Check that D3 is not shorted.
                  Replace V2 / V3

1)
                  Sorry for the late reply.
                  I didn't see you find the fault and fix the amplifier.
                  Congratulations.
                  Last edited by vintagekiki; 08-07-2020, 04:29 AM. Reason: 1)
                  It's All Over Now

Comment

Working...
                  X