1980's Fender Yale Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980's Fender Yale Reverb

I'm repairing a 1980's Fender Yale Reverb solid state amp. Three of the pots are in bad shape (2 with broken phenolic tops and another with a shaft that's come loose). I can't find those 15C 50K reverse audio taper pots anymore, but the 30C 50k RA's are easy to find. I'm planning on substituting those for the 15C's. What, if any audible difference will this make in the pot's performance (i.e., will get louder quicker, etc., etc.). I'm not really familiar with reverse audio taper pots and would like to know how they perform, in lay terms.

Thanks!

A 15% reverse audio taper should be at 85% of total resistance when the knob is turned halfway. A 30% reverse taper pot will be at 70% of total resistance at the halfway point. So a 30% on 5 will be like a 15% on 3 or 4. I guess I would say that it comes up slower. BTW, there is trick you can play to make a linear pot into a log pot, I would assume you can also tweak the percent taper as well. http://www.geofex.com/article_folder...s/potscret.htm

Comment

I never look at the numbers anyway, I just turn the control until it sounds right. All teh difference means is that all the way up and all the way down will be the same, and in the middle, things will be a little skewed.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X