Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you identify this unique IEC-320 Fuse-Cap-Line Voltage Selecting AC Mains Connector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you identify this unique IEC-320 Fuse-Cap-Line Voltage Selecting AC Mains Connector?

A client of mine sent me a photo of a square fuse holder (CMA-style Fuse Holder). At first, I thought this was one of the Littelfuse 348 series square fuse holders, until he sent me the assembly the fuse holder fits into. I've never seen one of these. The Fuse Holder functions as both the Fuse Holder AND selects the AC Mains Voltage for the IEC-320 Male Panel Mount AC Power Inlet. This is for his power supply to a recording console, whose fuse holder has suffered a partial melt-down. Interesting switch/fuse holder design! Only one side of the plastic fuse holder allows contact with the metal fuse cap right behind the square panel, and the other end connects the appropriately selected AC Mains input. So, the four contacts we see up front must go to the tapped Primary of the power xfmr.

I've searched thru all the obvious mfgrs's....Schruter, Shafner,, Bulgin, etc, as well as generic, trying to keep the description as short as possible.

Here's the two photos I have:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IEC-320-Fuse-Selectable AC Mains Voltage Module.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.84 MB ID:	911821 Click image for larger version  Name:	Fuse Holder Switch assembly.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.35 MB ID:	911823
    Attached Files
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

So you don't have it, you were only sent the photo? Ask him if he can pull the assembly free enough to look for numbers on it. I can see the legend molded onto it about using certain type fuse. I bet on the other side it has identifying marks. Well, one would hope, anyway.

This is where I liked the old four inch thick paper Mouser catalog. I could leaf through the pages of power inlets and look for an image that compares.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Take a look here;
      https://www.interpower.com/ic/design...y-Modules.html

possibly as close as you will get unless Soundtracks have any left in stock.
      Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
      If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

It is indeed a power supply for a Soundtracks console. Interpower had something that was snap-fit, but, not the same mulit-voltage selection, from what I could see in the image, and didn't specify having multiple voltage selection. I'll be seeing the supply later today when the client pulls the supply and brings it over to the shop. He had indicated the power entry module had been replaced before, so I told him he should contact that company to find out if they have any replacements, or know the mfgr of the part. Once I have the dimensions I'll at least be able to order a part to get the assembly replaced, cap off the unused voltage taps not used, and live with a more common item. Still would like to know who the mfgr is and if they're still available. Thanks, Jon

Comment

My client came in with the power supply. Huge beast...4U panel, a good 18" deep, must have weighed a good 50 lbs. I removed the top cover to have a look inside. HUGE Toroidal power Supply, computer grade buss caps, 2" dia size, +/-17V, +/- 12V, 5V & 48V. The AC Inlet module had a metal housing around it, typical of those having RFI filters, though it didn't have that...there was a sizeable RFI filter on the floor of the chassis. Primary wires were soldered to the terminals on its' back, with heat shrink over all connections. He only had so much time to spend, and needed to take the supply with him, as he had a client coming in this afternoon. So, this time, I didn't get a chance to remove the two mounting screws, slide the assembly out the back, flip it over to see if the mfgr's name & part number was there. So, next time on that. Spent the rest of the time removing the Pabst 4605Z 94CFM 240V fan to clean the blades, housing and filter to get max efficiency of the cooling system. I did heat up the fuse cap, holding the plastic together with my Optima 505J IC Puller, which had the right spacing to reshape the plastic as it had been deformed a bit by the heating current thru the blown fuse.

The 240V fan did have 240V applied to it, so perhaps a separate winding for it? Or, the primary isn't universal, just tapped for 100V, 120V, 220V & 240V, with the fan connected across the 240V while taking in 120V input. Didn't stop to figure it out.

As I didn't have the circular multipin connector to mate up with the supply voltages, we only verified everything is running right. The supply ran a good three months before the 6.3A Fast Blow fuse opened. As the external foam filter was totally caked with dust, it may have overheated. I'll know more when he puts it back into service. I did have him install the spare 6.3A Fast fuse he bought at a Home Depot (of all places) down the street from his studio. It did power back up fine with that fuse, so, at least now, he has the proper T6.3A. I'll know more later. Coming up with a mating circular Voltage Output connector should be a treat.

I looked thru Schurter AC inlet modules on Farnel UK's website, found an 8843 module that looked like it might fit, but, they've since re-designed that model, keeping the same number, and no longer looks anything like the AC Inlet module on this power supply.

Schruter 8843 IEC-320 Power Inlet Module.pdf
          Last edited by nevetslab; 08-25-2020, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X