Harmony H500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmony H500

I have a harmony h500 I'm looking at and I have to say if I'm reading all this right . It is the first transformerless SS amp I've ever worked on. With an Output transformer The only other solid state amp I've seen with an OT was a 70's Peavey head and cabinet. Is what I'm reading correct? And if so Isolation transformer would be a necessity to leave my hands.

nosaj
    And now for something a little different, this time it's a vintage guitar amplifier: the Harmony H500. The owner sent it to the shop out of the cabinet to be serviced since it quit putting out any sound. It's a pretty straightforward circuit with 3 transistors and a handful of passive components and tone controls…
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Anything in your Peavey was nothing like this. This is a real simple amp. The transformer output is not at all unlike say a Fender reverb drive. And yes, I would tell the customer either he gets an iso transformer added, or I don't work on it.

In your shop, hopefully you have a bench iso, just plug into that while you work on it.

You got only the chassis? Do we KNOW the speaker works?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Looks like a good donor cabinet and chassis to gut and build a real/tube amp into.

The customer might not agree, but I wouldn't bother fixing that- parts, time, isolation transformer, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Harmony-H500.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	912212
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Y'know, looking at it, it makes me think: glorified Pignose.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yea i have a bk precision 1604 isolated supply i have the whole shebang( cabinet chassiss) And the speaker does work sounds cheap. Jensen special design 5 inch I believe. one 2n3391 dead.
          The way I'm seeing this in my head because its transformerless , one transistor goes down everything goes down Like series filaments.

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            Looks like a good donor cabinet and chassis to gut and build a real/tube amp into.

The customer might not agree, but I wouldn't bother fixing that- parts, time, isolation transformer, etc.
            Well that was his initial idea till we started running some numbers. just because I have a shop of salvaged parts doesn't mean a cheap amp for someone, now me on the other hand want to build out of my junkpile whole nuther story
            nosaj

Comment

So what is a voltage dependant resistor? R10
              Ok so its a varistor.

nosaj

Comment

The way I'm seeing this in my head because its transformerless , one transistor goes down everything goes down Like series filaments.
                What does transformerless have to do with it? The signal; path uses three transistors, one goes out, no sound. I see no difference between that and a three tube amp. One tube goes out, no sound.

Comment

Power no power thing is what I was referring to . One component out no circuit.
                  nosaj

Comment

Two pin plug and a live chassis, plug it in wrong and the guitarist is DEAD.
                    No wonder they don't make them like that anymore ... too many law suits I expect.
                    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
                    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                      Power no power thing is what I was referring to . One component out no circuit.
                      nosaj
                      There aren't series components like in a tube widow maker where the heaters are in series.
                      In this one it's just straight up rectification of the AC line. One side of the AC line is grounded, the other side is rectified by D1 (via R9). If those basic parts are functional there will be power. C7 appears to be a 3 section can, but shown upside down to what we are accustomed to.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                      X