Axial Film Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axial Film Caps

What does everyone stock for (yellow) tubular axial film caps?

I currently stock Panasonic radial chiclet type caps that are great and physically compatible in most applications, but it would be nice to stock axial's as well.

I was originally looking at Mallory's but not a big selection for values, and the price, like Sprague, seems inflated for whatever reason. Wondering if there is a suitable replacement.

This type of cap seems to be big in the antique radio community, and not really anywhere else. Normally I wouldn't really consider components from a non-major brand, with no data sheets, but selection of these is so limited that I am thinking it may be worth considering. Crazy?

Illinois Capacitor is still making axials with a nice selection at Mouser. Data sheets available and you could assume they are coming from a decent facility.

I put together a list of vendors and some rough comparative pricing based on ordering 14 values of caps in quantity of 50 each (700 total) (values .001, .002, .0033, .0047, .0068, .01, .02, .03, .047, .068, .1, .22, .47, 1).

Wondering if anyone has experiences with these? Preferences or thoughts?

Thanks,

Sal's Tube Radios - $222 (Unbranded, MPP axial's. Form factor looks a little larger than average)
    Old Radio Parts - $243 ("CMC" brand. Form factor slightly longer and thinner than Mallory type with very thick leads)
    WJOE - $263 (Looks to be same caps as Old Radio Parts)
    Bob's Radio Antiques - $282 ("C" brand? Looks like a Mallory copy)
    CE Distribution - $373 (Unbranded)
    Just Radios - $422 (ETR brand, advertised as ISO 9001 & 14000 certified manufacturer with all capacitors RoHS approved - actually has spec's listed)

Mallory 150's:
    CE Distribution - $741
    Mouser - $895

Illinois Capacitor
    Mouser - $510

The Mallory 150's.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Looking more into the Illinois Caps the two relevant series are:

MPW - Polypropylene - Datasheet
      MWR - Polyester - Datasheet

These are smaller in form factor than the Mallory's and come in at about 60% of the cost.

Click image for larger version  Name:	oHwxnqn.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.4 KB ID:	913833
      Last edited by garytoosweet; 09-20-2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Something to keep in mind - Both Mallory and Illinois do not exist like they once did. They are now owned by Cornell Dubilier (CDE). They also own the Orange Drop line of capacitors, which they bought from SBE a few years back.
        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

re: Mallory 150's...

SoulFetish is right that the brand is now just a "brand". There's every probability that the Illinois cap is the same as the Mallory, maybe even exactly the same, but...

The Mallory cap has a popular following in the guitar amp DIY community as well. Pretty much no one questions your capacitor choice if you use them. Put Panasonic chicklets into someone's vintage Fender and they may raise an eyebrow. I'm not saying it matters though. Just telling it like it is. The initial purchase might sting a little but on the bench a Mallory 150 will only add a few dimes to the cost of a repair. That's cheap for the confidence it can give the customer.

That said, I stopped using 715P Orange Drops, Mallory 150's and Sprague Atom's for the same reason you mention. Stupid high markup. It's offensive price gouging. So if you wanted to use the more reasonable option (and by reasonable I actually mean that you used reason to select it, not that it's cheaper) "I" wouldn't have any problem with it. But I'm not your customer. If you have any reason to think your customers might prefer a popular type capacitor then go with the Mallory 150's.

JM2C
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The most tone snob customers of mine like the Mallory's

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
              Only if you tell them what you installed.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
                  What, they don't demand Sozo's??? Or old Russian PIO or Teflon? Vitamin Q? Gold foil with PCB?

Big M150 fan here. The practical and good-sounding solution. I also like the Panasonic mylar and polypro film caps. Used to use Siemens a lot, about 30 years ago. All cheap and never a problem. Let the hi fi corque sniffeurs have those other funky expensive caps.
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I work on the idea that if my customer wants to waste his/her hard earned, let them and fit what they want.
                    Psycho Schismatics dictates it will 'sound' better.

PIO are not only highly toxic but electrically leak badly and are not reliable, especially NOS.
                    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
                    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Working...
                    X