No announcement yet.

Dicky Twin Reverb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I totally understand the confusion. It could be any of those things. After all, the switch only says “standby”.
    what I mean is, The power switch stays in the “on” (up)position, and you flip the standby switch off (down)position, while you remove the tube so you don’t get ant loud pops from removing or reinstalling any tubes.
    Its not great for your speakers, and much worse for your ears.
    do you understand now?
    after you take out one of the tubes, you flip the standby switch back on (“up”), so the amp is operating so you can hear it again to see if the noise is gone or not
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/great-standby-switch-myth/
      The Great Standby Switch Myth

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-talk/tube-prelude-warm-up-to-the-standby-switch
      Tube Prelude: Warm Up to the Standby Switch

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/standby.html
      Power and Standby Switches

Last edited by vintagekiki; 09-27-2020, 07:44 AM. Reason: 1)
      It's All Over Now

Comment

As far as the 'standby' terminology, the word itself is not the problem. You have it right, and most people get it, it's common sense.
        The problem is when we add the words 'on' or 'off'. That's where people get confused. I prefer to use terms like 'standby mode' or 'play mode' to avoid confusion. Putting the words 'on' and 'off' on a standby switch does not make sense to me. Is the standby function 'on'? Or is standby function 'on' when switch is in 'off' postion?

I'm jumpy like you are. The biggest hazard for me working on amps is me jerking my arm when there is a loud noise or someone unexpected gets behind me and says something. In this situation I'd suggest you put in some earplugs or use hearing protectors. The noise is obviously loud enough that you'll still hear it, it just won't bother you as much.

Tubes haven't been used much? They still can go bad at any time, but I'm inclined toward what Chuch H suggested initially, an oxidized connection between socket and tube pin. Have you pulled all the tubes in and out of their sockets to see if that cleans it up?
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Standby in musical terminology is used for a completely different purpose.
          - When before beginning the concert the mutual relations of amplifiers on stage are harmonized, all amplifiers standby turn to off, (HV is switched off, heater tubes remain on) amplifiers are warm and ready to work (play) when standby turn to on.
          - When during the concert there is a need to replace the instrument (guitar, effect ...)
          - When there is a break between the blocks of the concert.

It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
            Okay, I totally understand the confusion. It could be any of those things. After all, the switch only says “standby”.
            what I mean is, The power switch stays in the “on” (up)position, and you flip the standby switch off (down)position, while you remove the tube so you don’t get ant loud pops from removing or reinstalling any tubes.
            do you understand now?
            after you take out one of the tubes, you flip the standby switch back on (“up”), so the amp is operating so you can hear it again to see if the noise is gone or not
            Many thanks for explaining. I had no idea you could pull tubes by just 'undoing' the standby switch. Interesting.

Its ridiculous I know having actually built this very twin reverb from scratch, that I should be asking such a Q. But 'in standby mode' always confused me, & tube amps (like building work I try at too) are consistantly totally brain-frying trying to understand, to me. Doesn't lessen how much I love spotting a super reverb in some 70's reggae mix tho.. my interest in them.

Actually what does 'in standby mode' mean again? seriously I get the gist of how to pull a tube by putting stby Down 1st.. but still do not know which position corresponds with it 'in standby mode'. Its totally 100% confusing still, even after your elaborating on it (or was your answer "It could be any of those things")-?

IE were you suggesting it is an ambiguous term?

Comment

You can always just flip the "standby" switch. When the amp is utterly quiet it's safe to pull tubes. If you get it wrong for whatever reason, you won't next time because you're admitently "jumpy" and the correction will imprint (We hope? Darwin not withstanding ). For hell!!! "Standby mode" means the amp is silent and not playing. It's in standby! Duh! That would be standby switch down for your amp (assuming it's wired properly).

You're doing what you always do SC. Asking advice and then refusing to follow instruction or colluding the matter into obscurity. You haven't even pulled a tube or smacked the amp yet during this entire process. That said...

It sort of sucks to be you. You want everything cut and paste so there's no possibility of risk, issue or even excess difficulty but you can absolutely appreciate the tones that come from a genre of amps that are inherently the opposite. I would love to see you on the other side of this conundrum but I just don't know how to help with that.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                standby : it is an ambiguous term?
                I'm on SC's ignore list so he won't see this. BUT yes "standby" is ambiguous all right, as it's applied on Fenders and so many other amps. When the bat of the standby switch is pointed up - aimed at the "STANDBY" print on the (usually rear) dashboard, the amp is actually in operate mode, NOT in standby. Bat down, away from the STANDBY print, then you're in standby. Yes, it is confusing. But you get used to it... Somebody let him know, OK? Be gentle, don't get on his ignore list.

To add to the cornfusion, in the UK as well as many other countries, switch DOWN is ON, UP is OFF. How many hotel rooms I've entered, not in North America, where I have to remind myself of that.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                  To add to the cornfusion, in the UK as well as many other countries, switch DOWN is ON, UP is OFF. How many hotel rooms I've entered, not in North America, where I have to remind myself of that.
                  I’m glad you brought that up, or if you’re in the UK, I’m glad you brought that “down”.
                  Making the down position “ON”?? What kinda Bull@&# is that?... driving on the left side...posidrive... I’m convinced it’s punishment for dumping George’s tea in Boston Harbor.

If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                    I'm on SC's ignore list ...
                    If it's for your consolation, you're not the only one.
                    The dialogue on the portals, takes place on the principle of a two-way street, everything else is a monologue ...
                    It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      You can always just flip the "standby" switch. When the amp is utterly quiet it's safe to pull tubes. If you get it wrong for whatever reason, you won't next time because you're admitently "jumpy" and the correction will imprint (We hope? Darwin not withstanding ). For hell!!! "Standby mode" means the amp is silent and not playing. It's in standby! Duh! That would be standby switch down for your amp (assuming it's wired properly).

You're doing what you always do SC. Asking advice and then refusing to follow instruction or colluding the matter into obscurity. You haven't even pulled a tube or smacked the amp yet during this entire process. That said...

It sort of sucks to be you. You want everything cut and paste so there's no possibility of risk, issue or even excess difficulty but you can absolutely appreciate the tones that come from a genre of amps that are inherently the opposite. I would love to see you on the other side of this conundrum but I just don't know how to help with that.
                      Chuck. Again its the same thing. I do not know what you mean by "flip the standby switch" just like "in standby mode".. or rather I --assume-- the two terms are referring to the same switch position: they may very well be referring to opposite switch positions for all I know.

But there is --no-- indication either "in standby" or "flip" whether you mean put this switch UP or DOWN (therefore I cannot continue on & make useful any of your following info above).

If the dictonary definition of "flip" means 'to put X in an upward position'.. then that's fine/ I know what you're talking about, tho I'd still check you mean "put stby switch in UP position, IE so the amp is in full playing mode". But I don't expect to read this & "flip" is certainly not a UK term (actually I think it is a std US abbreviated term, wherby it is just not over here, we do not say 'flip the bird' for eg).

I am not REFUSING Chuck. I do not understand the VERY FUNDAMENTALS of what the hell is being suggested bc of vthis confusion & so I do not dick about with dicky 500v tube amps if I 1st do not understand in what position one of the two switches is supposed to be set at.

For goodness sake, jump to your conclusions- fine, but a bit of advice for the www.. keep those opinions in your head rather than pressing 'enter' after typing your mini diatribe at me. Ive explained perfectly clearly how I am totally stuck. Have some patience.

Comment

Actually the abbreviation "to flip the bird" can be useful here. As we both know this means put one digit in the UP position.

So if it does indeed correlate with the -same- switch position as "put in standby mode".. then its an ideal single word I can refer to, to check what is being suggested.

But if it does -not- correlate.. then I hope you can appreciate why I am confused here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post

Chuck. Again its the same thing. I do not know what you mean by "flip the standby switch" just like "in standby mode".. or rather I --assume-- the two terms are referring to the same switch position: they may very well be referring to opposite switch positions for all I know.

But there is --no-- indication either "in standby" or "flip" whether you mean put this switch UP or DOWN (therefore I cannot continue on & make useful any of your following info above).

If the dictonary definition of "flip" means 'to put X in an upward position'.. then that's fine/ I know what you're talking about, tho I'd still check you mean "put stby switch in UP position, IE so the amp is in full playing mode". But I don't expect to read this & "flip" is certainly not a UK term (actually I think it is a std US abbreviated term, wherby it is just not over here, we do not say 'flip the bird' for eg).

I am not REFUSING Chuck. I do not understand the VERY FUNDAMENTALS of what the hell is being suggested bc of vthis confusion & so I do not dick about with dicky 500v tube amps if I 1st do not understand in what position one of the two switches is supposed to be set at.

For goodness sake, jump to your conclusions- fine, but a bit of advice for the www.. keep those opinions in your head rather than pressing 'enter' after typing your mini diatribe at me. Ive explained perfectly clearly how I am totally stuck. Have some patience.
                          Sea Chief. Going forward. ""in standby mode" is exactly how I described it above when telling you how to pull the tubes
                          Don't get sidetracked. Stay Focused on the noise. Your understanding of the nomenclature is not the problem with your amp. Don't bring it up again please. Cool?
                          So, get back on track by following my instructions posted above and report back.

Comment

Have some patience.
                            Every patience has its limits.
                            Patience is like a two-way street, where both sides need to be cooperative.
                            Every technician needs to know himself well, and discover what he doesn't know.
                            The solution exists. What doesn't know, if he wants can be educate and learn to know (on www ...) or simply not take on service.

1)
                            Question
                            Is the story about the same twin reverb

https://music-electronics-forum.com/forum/amplification/guitar-amps/maintenance-troubleshooting-repair/914246-dicky-twin-reverb
                            Dicky Twin Reverb

https://music-electronics-forum.com/forum/hang-out/parking-lot/storm-drain/51379-twin-reverb-bright-switch-n-g
                            Twin Reverb bright switch n/g
                            Last edited by vintagekiki; 09-27-2020, 07:43 AM.
                            It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
                              Every patience has its limits.
                              Patience is like a two-way street, where both sides need to be cooperative.
                              Every technician needs to know himself well, and discover what he doesn't know.
                              The solution exists. What doesn't know, if he wants can be educate and learn to know (on www ...) or simply not take on service.

1)
                              Question
                              Is the story about the same twin reverb

https://music-electronics-forum.com/forum/amplification/guitar-amps/maintenance-troubleshooting-repair/914246-dicky-twin-reverb
                              Dicky Twin Reverb

https://music-electronics-forum.com/forum/hang-out/parking-lot/storm-drain/51379-twin-reverb-bright-switch-n-g
                              Twin Reverb bright switch n/g
                              Indeed. My patience with replies wears thin too, esp when it gets personal which I do not appreciate. I have never -once- ever dived into a thread & replied with -any- personal xyz against the OP. I just think its very poor manners & a waste of time. I might have wanted to, but just kept it in my head.

Yes- I only have this twin reverb Vintagekiki (the 1st link is to this thread!). thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
                                do you understand now?
                                Ok thanks, I must admit I overlooked onwards of the 1st sentence/ got sidetracked I think by 'it could be any of those things' when my head went into meltdown.

Right, so reading Leo's post (I can read as a quote in someone else's reply- & this part at least was useful info with no personal insult) it seems I have a valid point that being in UK and US switch positions sound like they're opposite.

So "in standby mode" means the stby switch is On (& therefore UP). Is this correct?

If so its totally stupid terminology, as 'waiting' is another word for standby.. & implies the switch is DOWN waiting to be engaged to UP/ On (like my band eg we're standing by waiting > they come on & flip the stby switch UP so the amps are fully on).

Flip the bird is by far the clearest eg to save confusion tho.

Comment

Working...
                                X