Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMPEG SVT3 Pro Fan and 12AU7 not working

Hi,

I have an SVT3 Pro where the fan and 12AU7 filaments are not working. Replacing the tube didn't change anything. Obviously if fan doesn't work the amp wouldn't start either. I didn't dig through the schematic in detail but I suspect amp's input is muted somewhere (there's slight hum at the speakers' output) to prevent overheating. You can see some voltage readings below. F1 fuse is good.
    I'm not transistor guy but from what I gather Q17 (TIP32C) is not working. Or 'maybe I'm missing something?
    Attached Files

Check F1 and ensure D21 is OK and look at the 65v supply. Is the fan OK. Make sure the 65v is there. Both valve heaters are in series and ignore the fan speed controller as that won't stop the heaters.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Fuse is good (not open). 65V supply is there. Fan is working from external power supply.

Comment

Voltage of pin 4 of V2?
        Voltage on fuse?
        Q17 dry joint?
        Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk

Comment

Those voltages are on the pic above.

Comment

So they are.
            I would suggest Q17 is collector emitter open circuit as there is enough voltage to make it conduct.
            Have you checked Q17 for continuity and hfe?
            Take it out and measure it.

Comment

Do you measure continuity from Q17 collector to fuse?
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I checked Q17 with my DMM in diode mode with V1 and V2 out. Readings are as follows:
                1 /negative probe on B
                B/E and B/C ~570
                2/ positive probe on B
                B/E - OL (open), B/C starts from 920 and goes up to 1120 which doesn't look right.
                Also C/E (-/+) 540, C/E (+/-) OL (open).

Comment

Do you measure continuity from Q17 collector to fuse?
                  No continuity from Q17 C to fuse but it's there from V2 pin 4 to Q17 C and from pin 5 to fuse as per schematic.

Comment

Always remove the component from the board to test it unless you know exactly what you are looking for.
                    As Q17s base goes more negative with respect to the emitter, the more the collector will increase in voltage. That is all there is.
                    Check with another transistor.

Comment

The way I see it with the tubes out al transistor's pins can be considered "free" which should not affect the measurements unless there's some conductivity PCB problem or something.
                      I was hoping to avoid removing the whole power amp board but it looks like it's inevitable.

Comment

If you don't have continuity from pin4 to pin5 it won't work. And by continuity I don't mean a dead short, just the proper expected resistance. Probably a bad solder joint at the socket, or bad socket.
                        If you were going by a continuity 'beeper', check on resistance range. Compare to pin 4 to 5 resistance of V1, should be similar.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

You mentioned "tubes out". If there is no 12AU7 in the socket there can be no continuity between the fuse and the transistor Q17.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You mentioned "tubes out". If there is no 12AU7 in the socket there can be no continuity between the fuse and the transistor Q17.
                            That's what I said earlier. By tubes "tubes out" I meant tubes "out of their sockets".

Comment

But were the tubes out when you tried to measure the continuity?

With a 12AU7 INSTALLED in V2, is there continuity from Q17 to the fuse?
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X