Transformer supply bad news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformer supply bad news

In another thread I mentioned I had a PT I got from CE Dist die in under three years, which they now do not offer. I just called them to ask what's up, and the fellow knew right away what the story was. The EIA code 989 is Marvel Electronics out of Chicago. He said the guy who owns it suddenly closed up shop and retired without notice to go fishing in Florida, leaving them and other buyers in the lurch. To make matter worse, he also said the guy has a brother who also made transformers, who was also about to close up shop. I told him I often buy my transformers from Magnetic Components, also out of Chicago, and he said he wasn't 100% sure, but he thought that might be the other brother.

He told me CE Dist is currently on the hunt for a replacement supplier for quality transformers at a good price, but as of yet have not landed one. I asked if they would stay with American made, and he could not assure me that there were any manufacturers in the states anymore. He said they would make an announcement when they come up with a solution, but as of yet they are not sure.

This is a big blow. Currently they are offering Hammond products, which I also like, but they are more expensive.

2020 just keeps on giving.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Bad news, but thanks for sharing. Keep us up to date.
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Yeah, thanks for the update.

Comment

Separately I heard yesterday that Magnetic Components, manufacturer of the Classic Tone transformers are going out of business. Apparently it was disclosed by Dave Friedman in his Youtube series a few days ago.

I usually buy Hammond as I'm in Canada. There is still Edcor in the US and also Transcendar although I have not bought from them and they seem to do mostly custom stuff.
        Last edited by garytoosweet; 10-15-2020, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Sad to hear that.
          When a Market dissapears a few stubborn guys keep doing it, even if reduced to bare bones, until they retire or die.
          And then it´sover.
          Another Globalization victim.

Meanwhile, in China:

They even brag and now and then put a nice girl to do the job, to prove "anybody" can do it.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by garytoosweet View Post
            Separately I heard yesterday that Magnetic Components, manufacturer of the Classic Tone transformers are going out of business. Apparently it was disclosed by Dave Friedman in his Youtube series a few days ago.

I usually buy Hammond as I'm in Canada. There is still Edcor in the US and also Transcendar although I have not bought from them and they seem to do mostly custom stuff.
            I can't find any info on this. Same as Friedman amps?
            How about a link?

Comment

Heyboer is still alive and well right here in Michigan. I don't remember which vendor uses their stuff but I have purchased several direct from them and I have not had any issues.
              --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post

I can't find any info on this. Same as Friedman amps?
                How about a link?
                https://youtu.be/_Yp3uB4keCM?t=4195

He also mentioned Merren Transformers which I hadn't heard of. http://merrenaudio.com/

Comment

Since there is not much info and it's youtube, i don't believe it. I sent off a email asking the status so i will see if i get a reply. The facebook page hasn't been updated in 1.5 years.

Comment

I sent an email inquiry 3 days ago, I have so far not received a response.
                    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
                      Since there is not much info and it's youtube, i don't believe it. I sent off a email asking the status so i will see if i get a reply. The facebook page hasn't been updated in 1.5 years.
                      Let's hope your right, Mozz.
                      But it did occur to me, that in this case, no news is probably bad news.
                      If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I've only used their transformers off and on a few times. Never any complaints and customers always had good things to say about the finished product. I like that the specs are right there.

You are right about no news is bad news in this case. Hope it's nothing and goes back to how it was, but today that's a pipe dream.

Comment

Sad news to hear both Marvel Electronics and Magnetic Components going out of business. Hate to hear American vendors closing up shop, forcing hardships on folks like us, or small-qty Botique amp producers to scramble for sourcing transformers from large corporations who want NOTHING to do with piece-meal qty's.

Pacific Transformer is still in business in Anaheim, CA. Like Heyboer, they probably only produce OEM xfmrs for manufacturers. I used them for years at BGW Systems, Inc until they went bankrupt in early 2000's. https://www.pactran.com/

Triad is still in business. More limited in off-the-shelf xfmrs than Hammond.
                          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

A tech buddy just got off the phone with CE.
                            called my back to let me know CE confirmed that classic tone is going out of business.
                            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

We've been using Heyboer for a number of years with no problems to date.

Comment

Working...
                              X