Fender Twin 1977 ground switch repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    Ah,.... a nod to the Pseudoacoustic Infector. One of my favorite Rane data sheets.

https://www.ranecommercial.com/legacy/pdf/pi14data.pdf
    You can buy one!!!

Only $6,990.00!

https://meniscusaudio.com/product/ps...stic-infector/
    If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
    I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

But I need TWO...
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        But I need TWO...
        I actually clicked the "add to cart" button and a legitimate looking cart popped up.
        PayPal button and everything.
        I chickened out and emptied the cart.

If you need two there is an option for that, just hit the + button beside the add to cart button, as many times as you want....

I put 71 in the cart...

$496,290.00

Sales tax $29,777.40

Total before shipping $526,067.40

So you can have as many as you want....

Comment

Yes, but shipping will be outrageous since they have an anti-resonant concrete chassis.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Plus I need some cords with smiley face connectors.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You guys are so hard to please.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post

I've replaced Twin speakers with Eminence Texas Heat on several occasions. I like the sound quality & so do the amp owners. Rated at 150W so it takes a lot of effort to wreck them with a Twin. At a mere $95 I call it the "Poor Man's EVM12L."
                When used with an overdriven guitar amp, I've learned the hard way that Eminence power ratings are not comparable to those of Celestion. How else to explain how my 2x6L6 GZ34 rectified amp (that puts out ~40W at clipping into a dummy load, and ~55W at full squarewave, measured using a true rms meter), which a 75W Celestion G12T75 copes with just fine, can overheat the voice coil former of a 120W Eminence Manowar, causing its output to fizzle out? Its voicecoil still measured ok, rather the former had become distorted from overheating and was binding against the magnet structure.
                My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  Or leave it there and put a small label over it saying something cryptic like "PHASE".

I CAN HEAR THE DIFFERENCE!

What's funny is on the Silverface amps the three prong rear outlet is usually wired backwards.

Comment

WOW, thank you all so much for your answers. I wasn't expecting so many people to chip in and it is truly appreciated.
                    The 1/2 Blackface mod kit was delivered, and seems to only consist in changing a few resistors and a cap. I'm attaching the instructions and schemes for whoever is interested.

Regarding the speakers, I will do a bit more research, and since I'm about to move I will wait until the moving is dealt with.

Thank you again for your help!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello again!

I have one more question regarding my amp repairs.
                      In the attached picture, you can see that this part of the amp is pretty old/damaged and I've therefore decided to replace the 4 disc capacitors. But I was wondering if I should also replace the four 0 ohms resistors that are linked with them. My point being that I dont really know if those are actually useful. Should I just take them off and solely replace the capacitors or replace the resistors as well?
                      Thank you. Hope everyone is doing well!

https://ibb.co/rF953ry
                      Last edited by Ragnamoog; 11-01-2020, 12:48 AM.

Comment

I suggest not just replacing a bunch of parts for no reason, especially if you don't know what they are or what they do. Those are not 0 ohm resistors, those are rectifiers - diodes - the stripe indicates which end is the cathode.. If you remove them you will no longer have high voltage. I would be much more concerned with cleaning the dirt and crap off the board, do we have any reason to think the caps are bad? If one was open, you'd probably never notice. If one were shorted, you'd be blowing fuses. Those are high reliability parts and unlikely to be bad otherwise.

Comment

simulpost... what he said ^^^
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                          X