Demeter VTMP-2a with vibration-sensitive Tube PCB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demeter VTMP-2a with vibration-sensitive Tube PCB

The General Mgr at CenterStaging, LLC brought me his Demeter VTMP-2a with the initial complaint of the front panel variable Gain pots being way off with respect to each other, to get both channels equal. He’s using it for sweetening digital tracks in re-record, I presume.

After opening it up, finding garden variety 100k Audio Taper potentiometers installed, and knowing their tracking when you’re attenuating around 30dB on them, their relative settings to each other will be very different. Well over a marker-line difference on the FP silkscreen. Even if I bought 10 or 20 pots and checked their relative tracking, it wouldn’t be much better. I looked around to see if I could find any affordable 100k Nobel or Alps 22-detent step potentiometers, knowing those DO track quite well, being laser-trimmed discrete resistance steps on their PCB-mtg substrates. We used them on a number of BGW power amps for the front panel pots when I worked there decades ago. I know I kept a handful of them, but where they are now, I couldn’t guess.

My search on the internet, and on ebay found their prices varying from $15 to well beyond $100 each. I also came across some precision step attenuators built from 24-position M-B-B rotary switches with precision resistors, yielding 2dB/step down to -34dB, then increases in attenuation steps down to -75dB. I ordered a pair, which will show up sometime before December 7.

Meanwhile, in checking out the preamp in general, I found a number of problems. I’m hearing transformer hum in Ch. A, though not in Ch. B. When I turned the Variac down, to see if it drops relative to Mains voltage, at 112VAC, one of the power supply regulators drops out of regulation, and a new obnoxious background noise appears. Listening to the noise floor at the three gain settings of 30dB, 40dB and 50dB, I also find the chassis is very sensitive to vibration….meaning the tube PCB is vibration sensitive. Microphonics, perhaps. I swapped out tubes, not finding that problem change, so perhaps there’s solder joint issues on the bottom of the preamp PCB.

Getting it off the chassis floor requires releasing the front panel from the chassis to get the wiring harness to move with the PCB. Top left front screw was frozen, with it’s Philips head pattern already buggered by someone in the past attempting the same thing. Getting it to loosen took application of WD 40 into the threads from the rear, hammering on it from both front and rear with a Drive Pin Punch, heating the screw, then hitting it with Freeze mist followed by quick screwdriver action finally broke the locked-up screw bond.

I pondered shock-mounting the tube PCB assembly. I searched for tiny male-female, or male-male shock-mount fasteners, came upon one company that made them for PCB assemblies. Looking at their design, I went to my drawers to find some #6-32 Socket Cap screws, and a short length of the 3/16” ID/5/16” OD Silicone Rubber Tubing that I use for shock-mount protection of power tube hold-down clamps, and fashioned a simple shock mount fastener. I picked up more socket cap screws from my local surplus hardware store on the way home yesterday. When I opened the unit this morning to check the screw size, I found them being #4-40, NOT #6-32. But, my #4-40 Jack Screws (male-female stud-standoffs) work there too, being firmly held by the tubing.

I then thought about the 12BH7 output tubes in the circuit, they being taller than the 12AX7’s and the 12AT7 in use. Using the top cover sitting on the side flanges revealed the 12BH7 tube's height wouldn't allow installing shock-mounts under the PCB. I could use 12AU7’s there in place of the 12BH7’s, which would work and solve the height problem.

Then, inspecting the rest of the chassis, I see the output transformers mounted over between the left chassis wall and the edge of the tube PCB, it’s coil form hangs over the PCB assy. So, I’d have to install standoffs to raise the transformers. Lots of obstacles, but this DIY shock mount fastener solution may work.

I still have to get onto the bottom side of the PCB to see if there are solder joint fractures, as that could be involved in the vibration-sensitive noise pickup.

Not sure what I’ll find in the power supplies and who is dropping out of regulation to cause that nasty background noise. 112VAC is too close to nominal line voltage to be ‘trivial’.

So, more than just replacing the front panel gain pots to get this unit solid again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VTMP-2a-2.JPG
Views:	751
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	916339 Click image for larger version

Name:	VTMP-2a-10.JPG
Views:	747
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	916341 Click image for larger version

Name:	VTMP-2a-12.JPG
Views:	725
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	916343 Click image for larger version

Name:	VTMP-2a-16.JPG
Views:	669
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	916345 Click image for larger version

Name:	24_Step_100K Attenuator-2.jpeg
Views:	691
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	916348 Click image for larger version

Name:	VTMP-2a-17.JPG
Views:	698
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	916350 Click image for larger version

Name:	VTMP-2a-20.JPG
Views:	734
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	916352
    Attached Files
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

If a valve is sensitive to touch, just replace it.

Edit; dyslexia struck again, random letters, {rust jeplace}. Fixed now.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

If that was the problem, I would have. Not the case. Today, I was able to have a look at the bottom side of the preamp board, though with the maze of discrete wires going in three directions, and didn't yet want to start unsoldering wires everywhere, I just made as close an inspection of the bottom side of the PCB today, not finding anything suspicious anywhere.

I did verify it was the 12.6VDC Heater supply that's dropping out of regulation. It may be the primary filter cap following the diode bridge that's bad. Loaded secondary into the bridge is 17VAC (@ 120VAC in), and when the regulator starts dropping, it's 16VAC. I'll be back at it tomorrow morning to dig into that. There should be around 23VDC on the cap, and on the unregulated side of the LM317K regulator IC. Dropout voltage on those is in the 2V range, and checked the two voltage-setting resistors of the circuit, and that checks out. Date code on the power transformer is 04/93 (4th week 1993), though date code on the LM317K is 9923 (23rd week 1999), so I wouldn't be surprised the 1000uF buss cap has seen enough service, passing a bit over 1A of current to the tube's heaters all these years. I'll have to see what I have on hand for replacement.

There's only been a couple hand-drawn schematics floating around on the internet, so having gathered enough value conformation of the circuit, I'll end up drawing up a new schematic in my PCB Schematic Capture program. Once that's done, I have a question regarding the thought of swapping out the 12BH7 output tube circuit with a 12AU7. There's only around 11mA plate current flowing thru the stacked 2-tube output stage, while the heater current on that tall 9-pin tube is 300mA (heaters in series) vs 150mA for the 12AU7. Plate voltage is 240VDC, grid-cathode voltage -2.7VDC. Main reason of considering the swap is to allow raising the PCB to fit in shock-mount fasteners suspending the board (in hopes of reducing conducted vibration to the tubes on the PCB). More to follow

Click image for larger version

Name:	VTMP-2a-4.JPG
Views:	604
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	916461 Click image for larger version

Name:	VTMP-2a-7.JPG
Views:	578
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	916463 Click image for larger version

Name:	VTMP-2a-6.JPG
Views:	562
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	916465 Click image for larger version

Name:	VTMP-2a-1.JPG
Views:	671
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	916467
      Attached Files
      Last edited by nevetslab; 10-24-2020, 04:15 AM.

Comment

#6-32 Socket Cap screws .... 3/16” ID/5/16” OD Silicone Rubber Tubing .... being #4-40, NOT #6-32. But, my #4-40 Jack Screws
        When will you (I mean all "Americans", not you personally) grow beyond the Victorian Era and become Metric?
        Not even good old UK uses that obsolete system any more. Annoying.

Maybe you want to keep up with Myanmar and Liberia?
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

In this particular repair adventure, Demeter is using #4-40 hardware as well as #6-32. The Silicone Rubber tubing used in fashioning shock mount hardware is called out in those dimensions. Sure, I could convert it and write it that way, but in searching the McMaster-Carr catalog, these aren't called out in Metric. I use both standards. Having grown up in America, where Metric was 'foreign' to America's thinking, and all measurement standards were not Metric, you tend to become indoctrinated. At least having been in the scientific and engineering fields for decades, both become second nature, though calling out materials standards for purchase, you're once again forced to think in non-Metric terms. Very unfair, and drives ya nuts.

Comment

Don't know the gain they are running in that thing but a lot of 12au7 end up being microphonic.

Comment

I've got the first draft of the Ch A Mic Preamp Schematic drawn up, and posted here. I'll probably copy this, make the Ch B revisions (and revise the designation numbers), then will draw up the power supply. As always, takes more time than you expect.

Demeter VTMP-2a_Ch A.pdf

Comment

I've now redrawn the Ch A Mic Preamp schematic, corrected some errors, set up the designation number scheme for 100 series for Ch A, then saved that schematic as Ch B, and updated the designation numbers for 200 series. Then, finally, drew up the power supply schematic. National Instruments' Multisim 11 doesn't have a symbol for an AC power plug, as this unit has an attached 2-wire mains cord, so I had to cobble something together for that. I'll see if I can come up with something more suitable, but, got the basics done.

I haven't gone in to record all the DC voltages in the Preamp circuit, though did get voltages in the power supply.

I've attached the three schematics for this Demeter VTMP-2a. Now, time to watch Game 5 of the World Series.

Demeter VTMP-2a_Ch A.pdf
                Demeter VTMP-2a_Ch B.pdf
                Demeter VTMP-2a Power Supply.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                  When will you (I mean all "Americans", not you personally) grow beyond the Victorian Era and become Metric?
                  USA was supposed to "go metric" in 1975. Woops! I guess President Ford was busy overseeing the manufacture of "W.I.N." buttons for all the citizens. 45 years later & we're still in the woods as far as joining the rest of the world with the metric system. It would screw up the language too. "Give 'em 25 millimeters and they'll take 1.6 kilometers..."
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

As usual, first versions of schematics usually have mistakes, like leaving out a ground connection, or figuring out just how they DID wire up the phantom power from the source regulator and send wires all over the unit. So, I think I've got those errors corrected. I also added DC Voltages on the two preamp channels. This morning, I lifted out the power supply regulator PCB and swapped out the 1000uF/50V Buss Cap for a fresh one, and re-mounted it. When I powered it up, once again, at 112VAC, the 12.6V regulator starts dropping out of regulation. I removed the pair of 12BH7 output tubes, and now the 12.6V regulator doesn't drop out until the Mains voltage is around 97VAC. I installed a pair of 12AU7's in their place, and it drops out of regulation now at 104VAC. There's less plate current flowing in the 12AU7's than in the 12BH7's. I haven't yet explored the differences in the circuit with that change. I was starting to wonder about the LM317K, though maybe the buss cap needs to be considerably higher. I haven't yet looked at the ripple current with that additional 300mA current the 12BH7's draw with their higher heater current.

Anyway, I've attached the updated Rev 2 schematics here:

Demeter VTMP-2a_Ch A.pdf
                    Demeter VTMP-2a_Ch B.pdf
                    Demeter VTMP-2a Power Supply.pdf

Comment

Yesterday and this morning, I ordered higher value buss caps for the Heater Supply....4700uF/35V, 3300uF/35V & 2200uF/35V, along with some 4A/200V Bridge Rectifiers to retrofit into the Heater Supply. I checked the plate current readings with the 12AU7's in the output stage vs the 12BH7's. The 12BH7's draw 10.8mA vs the 12AU7's drawing 8mA. I haven't yet checked the signal drive characteristics difference, but there's an improvement in the residual noise. I was getting noise spikes in Ch A at 30dB & 40dB gain, which are now gone. @ 30dB & 40dB gain, Ch A is 4 dB lower in wideband noise, while both the same A-wtd.

I installed the 5/8" hex spacers to elevate the output xfmrs, and installed the #4-40 shock mount fasteners to suspend the main PCB. That has improved the units' sensitivity to vibration, so that was a worthwhile change. Just couldn't do that with the 12BH7's installed, due to their height.

I'll get new photos after the higher current bridge and higher capacitance buss caps arrive.

Comment

They tried to go metric, many years ago they added kph and kilos to highway signs along with the miles. it confused people, so they stopped. I don't really care if they install 1/4" jacks or the 6.35mm ones. I have been successful with both types.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Actually most all US manufacturers have 'gone' metric.
                          The scientific community has also.

Comment

What'd the dominant standard found in all the equipment all of us are servicing?

Comment

This morning, having remembered to bring in a condenser mic from home, I powered up the preamp, fed the balanced output to my bench Symetrix SX204 Headphone amp, I put the phones on to give a listen. It sounded respectable, though I could clearly hear the power transformer being picked up in the background. When I switched to Instrument mode, it was dead quiet, and not hearing the power transformer's radiated stray field. Split-bobbin design, rather than 'stick-wound coil form. Sigh...... What I miss from the old days of having access to the metal and machine shop, is being able to shear up some steel to form a shield wall between the power supply/power xfmr section from the rest of the preamp. Granted, the two Jensen mic transformers are as far away from that power xfmr as it could get, while the transformer is still mounted INSIDE the chassis. At present, I don't have any supply of M6 grain-oriented steel. I have a little bit of mu metal, and another material not as good as mu metal, it being larger pieces.

When I changed the output tube back to the 12BH7, I was hearing more of the power transformer's field radiation, so that does tell me the current flow thru the transformer is a factor. One side of me is already considering moving the power transformer to the OUTSIDE the rear panel, and punch openings to pass the primary and secondary wires on thru the panel. I could even place some of the more exotic shielding material between the xfmr and the panel. I'll have to ponder this some more.

I think before taking any of these moves, I'll chat with the owner to let him hear what I've found, as well as let him hear what I'm hearing. I might just be nit-picking something he's lived with all these years. It wasn't anything that came up when he brought me the project. The task he brought me was to find a way to get the two variable gain pots to be equal. The Step Attenuators that are on their way here will take care of that. Assuming I don't have to build a shielded enclosure around those in the process.

Comment

Working...
                              X