Cathode to grid is showing 1.5v on both sides
    Voltage UR19 are OK
    1)

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_n6yziwxPZq1qbg257o1_1280.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	918412

The Peavey VTM120 has 4 PCBs that are interconnected with a lot of connector into one unit.
    Popping / crackling is a malfunction of a mechanical nature, which occurs due to bad contacts in (interconnect) connectors, tube sockets, jacks with switches ... ...
    By measuring DCV, it is difficult to determine something concretely, only by the elimination (part by part) can determine assembly where popping / crackling occurs.
    Last edited by vintagekiki; 11-17-2020, 08:32 PM. Reason: 1)
    It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      He already said he replaced the tube and the anode resistors.

wormdirt you could try grounding the grid (pin2) of V4. Noise still there?
      You changed the plate resistors, but how about the cathode resistor? There is a 470R and two 10K's in the cathode circuit. Also all their solder joints.
      And how about the power supplies to the PI and the power tubes, all clean? (check with scope)
      I grounded pin 2 and it's dead silent

What's this tell me?

Comment

Means the source of the noise is BEFORE pin 2 in the circuit.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
          Voltage UR19 are OK
          1)

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_n6yziwxPZq1qbg257o1_1280.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	918412

The Peavey VTM120 has 4 PCBs that are interconnected with a lot of connector into one unit.
          Popping / crackling is a malfunction of a mechanical nature, which occurs due to bad contacts in (interconnect) connectors, tube sockets, jacks with switches ... ...
          By measuring DCV, it is difficult to determine something concretely, only by the elimination (part by part) can determine assembly where popping / crackling occurs.
          This morning I tested all the ribbon connectors in and out of circuit. They all check out with no noticable burns or breaks

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Means the source of the noise is BEFORE pin 2 in the circuit.
            So with not preamp tubes, except v4 , and the grid grounded test, I can assume the noise is in between the signal coming out of v3 and the grid of v4

Comment

I don't like shorting the input grid of a LTPI with a wire (and not a cap), as the grid sits on positive voltage (here around 75V) and shorting it to ground totally screws PI operation. It essentially puts the PI input triode into cutoff.

And I don't agree that PI voltages look right. Cathode voltage seems too high and plate voltages should be lower as well.
              What is PI supply voltage?
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-17-2020, 11:08 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by wormdirt View Post
                So with not preamp tubes, except v4 , and the grid grounded test, I can assume the noise is in between the signal coming out of v3 and the grid of v4
                When you remove only V3 do you have noise?
                Between V3 and V4 you have R14, R15, R21, C7, C8 and jack J7 (via connector J3).
                In what condition is the cable shield between J3 - J3?
                It's All Over Now

Comment

When you remove only V3 do you have noise?
                  Between V3 and V4 you have R14, R15, R21, C7, C8 and jack J7 (via connector J3).
                  In what condition is the cable shield between J3 - J3?
                  What would be the difference between v1 v2 v3 being pulled and just v3?

Shield has continuity across it.
                  Instead of pulling and checking each component it might be better to just start replacing everything between v3 and v4

Comment

Most times I do not remove a part to check it.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                      I don't like shorting the input grid of a LTPI with a wire (and not a cap), as the grid sits on positive voltage (here around 75V) and shorting it to ground totally screws PI operation. It essentially puts the PI input triode into cutoff.
                      Agree. wormdirt maybe double check grounding pin2 of V4 through a cap, like .1 or .047 or similar.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

What would be the difference between v1 v2 v3 being pulled and just v3?
                        The question is not answer to the question.

When remove V3 and no noise, communication between preamp and PI is interrupted, it indicates that noise is generated in preamp (V1, V2)
                        Different description of malfunction are mixed. Please what exactly is about: noise, hum, popping, crackling ... ...
                        It's All Over Now

Comment

PI grid voltages must be the same as the voltage at the lower end of the cathode bias resistor R19 as the grid leak resistors R18/R20 don't drop voltage.
                          Thus it is typically not necessary to measure DCV at the grids.
                          thats a great point.
                          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Shield has continuity across it.
                            Not sure what that means.
                            Shield needs to have continuity to ground.

A shield acts a capacitor shorting electrical interference to ground.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Not sure what that means.
                              Shield needs to have continuity to ground.

A shield acts a capacitor shorting electrical interference to ground.
                              It has continuity to ground and continuity across it, I just pointed out the less obvious thing to check I guess

Comment

The question is not answer to the question.

When remove V3 and no noise, communication between preamp and PI is interrupted, it indicates that noise is generated in preamp (V1, V2)
                                Different description of malfunction are mixed. Please what exactly is about: noise, hum, popping, crackling ... ...
                                Yes the sound persists.
                                The noise is this
                                https://youtu.be/2oPOBuYCBRk

Comment

Working...
                                X