No announcement yet.

Tweed Twin scratchy volume pot on guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe the boards were just dipped.?. The effect when heating looked to be the wax melting and then being absorbed by the fiber board. Not so much evaporating as the board material becoming warm enough to allow capillary action.?. Because as far as I know wax doesn't "evaporate" anywhere near it's melting temperature either. I would have thought that any volatile material in the wax/coating of the silver face era boards would have evaporated of it's own with time long before any heat needed to be applied. But I'm just thinking out loud.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Again, I call it wax, but have no idea what it really is. COuld be a heavy petroleum grease, or llama sweat.

Ever watch the defroster work on your windshield? An area thaws, and you can watch as the cleared area slowly grows around the edges. When I blow hot air on my eyelet boards I see a similar visual, so I heat an area until that happened then chase the waxy areas away spreading the dry spot.;

And what if it really is wax, and as I hinted above, maybe the moisture content is not within the wax, but trapped under it between wax and board?

I don't know what is chemically going on there, I just know that this procedure works for me.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Come to think of it, when I do that, it doesn't pool up and run off, it just goes away.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          Again, I call it wax, but have no idea what it really is. COuld be a heavy petroleum grease, or llama sweat.
          Indeed. I have to wonder because I too have seen it the way you describe. Fortunately (for me) I'm not concerned about it enough to look into it very hard

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

This here conversation is harder than I ever looked.

Comment

The discussion waxes lyrical ...
              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Wax on, wax off...

Comment

I think this subject is starting to wane.

Comment

Party on, Wane...

Comment

Hello gents, I had to step away from the bench for a week. I hit the board with a heat gun, and problem solved. Sort of. No more scratchy guitar pot, but how long will it last? Also, the voltage on the input went down from 0.8v to 0.18v. The board doesn't seem waxy at all, it feels pretty dry to me. But, we are in SW Florida where it is often pretty humid. I hate to tell this customer this, because he loves this amp.
                      It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

It may still have issues, or it may work fine for ages to come. I never had one I repaired that way come back to be later for the same issue.

Tell your customer, the real certain cure is a new eyelet board, but you did a procedure that will probably work and SAVED HIM MONEY.

Comment

If the heat gun repair doesn't hold, I'd think about moving the resistors at the input off of the board and wire them to the jacks like many of the Fender amps. Then, wire from the jacks directly to the tube sockets, again like many of the Fender amps.
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

This may sound stupid, but I'm just curious. Would putting some of those little desiccant packets in the chassis help in humid environments?
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Science awaits your results...

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                                Science awaits your results...
                                I'm not moving to Florida.
                                We've already turned on the furnace humidifier as it is so dry here.
                                Originally posted by Enzo
                                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                                X