What's your Fix for Stripped Plastic Control Knobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
    What do you do when the set screw, that holds the knob on to the shaft, is stripped?
    re-tap it...or replace the knob.....

Comment

Originally posted by Perkinsman View Post
      All good ideas, especially the straw & blue tack. With stripped set screws, I've retapped The next larger size & used a new set screw.

Correct for 20 points!

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
        Packing tape works for me.

Another trick for split shaft pots is I use used solder wick to keep the two sides apart.
        Hmmm.......I haven't tried that one.....I like it,...using spent materials! I often shave down the wooden dowel of Q-Tips and slip that in to keep the two halves of the split spline shaft apart to fit the push-on knob.
        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

On knobs on hand that have to go onto a replacement pot, which now has 6mm solid shaft instead of 1/4' shaft, for which the knobs are set for, I have 5mm thick brass shim stock that I cut to size to slip into the knob (knob has set screw(s)). That box of brass shim stock that I 'inherited' from BGW Systems when they went bankrupt sure has come in handy over the decades. 8" wide by 100 ft, I think it was when new.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
            On knobs on hand that have to go onto a replacement pot, which now has 6mm solid shaft instead of 1/4' shaft, for which the knobs are set for, I have 5mm thick brass shim stock that I cut to size to slip into the knob (knob has set screw(s)). That box of brass shim stock that I 'inherited' from BGW Systems when they went bankrupt sure has come in handy over the decades. 8" wide by 100 ft, I think it was when new.
            5mm must be typo, as the difference between 1/4' and 6mm is only 0.35mm.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

5mm must be typo, as the difference between 1/4' and 6mm is only 0.35mm.
              YES....my mistake. 0.005" thick (5 mil) is what I have. Sorry about that!

Comment

The knobs I’m fishing for ideas on don’t have set screws, they’re just push on plastic type but they’ve loosened over the years.

Comment

Working...
                X